• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Time to harden up

oz-olskool

Oakley Beginner
Australia
Hi all you metal heads
I'm thinking of trying/ purchasing
A set of metals.
I like my split jackets/ for size and shape/ fit on my head.

Which metals do you think would best suited in similar shape and size to a split jacket.
Ie I don't want them to look like a asian fit On my head

Or can some of you guys suggest a comparison To plastics in a general size. Ie gascans etc

I think the pennys would be to small for my head shape.i have a fat head

Is there any you would look at ,over others. As I don't want to purchase something I can find no parts for either.
Gen 1 or 2 or 3

I was thinking of some juilets.

Any suggestions/help/guidance would be great Also things to look out for.

Omatter frames and metals are two way different species. Also all metals are discontinued so you will be hunting for stuff you need depending on which model you choose. The metal world is a whole different ball game ....

Juliet's fit slightly smaller than Gascan's. X Squared are slightly bigger.

if you like Split Jacket's i would say to go with X Squared or XX.

i like the fit of my Split Jacket's too and i prefer the fit of the X Squared. Juliet's are almost too small for me. they work though. so i think you would be fine either way.

Juliets are usually much lower in price than X Squared though.

Can't go wrong with trying out a Juliet. Buy it from a forum member for a reasonable price. Worst case scenario is that you don't like the look/fit/feel and you will most likely be able to get whatever you put into them back in a sale/trade.

1st - If you have a "fat head" I'd start with an R2. They have plenty of clearance.

2nd - The XX would also be a good starting point.

3rd - Polished (haammerstem) Juliet, though the orbital configuration is the same for Juliets in general the Polished bumps out a little more on the sides, providing some additional clearance.

Careful of the R1 as it may not be an easy fit for a fat head. You really have to put them on like goggles to prevent spider cracks, which may be more difficult on a "fatter" noggin!

The X Squared could be too big, plus the adjustment is not as fine tuned as other X-Metals.

The rest of the Juliets and Mars will be a bit smaller.

The Half-X and Penny will be the smallest.

The best thing about your choice is that you will be trying something you can sell if it is not right. Just be sure to confirm the valuation of the item before you purchase it and you can't go wrong! :)

Good Luck!

As said many of the metals fit differently than o-matter, but for a larger head I would recommend the XX. The X-squared could work, but for your first I would go with the more classic style of the XX. Romeos are good but both (1&2) are very hard (expensive) to find parts for (all x-metals are getting that way). I really like my Juliets, but they are smaller...If you buy any, you will most likely buy more. So start with something you like and start saving;)!

Thanks for the replies everyone so far.
The wealth of info is wonderful.
I will try to make a decision (not sure when but I have lots of info to look at)and let you all know how I go.

Back