• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Timebomb 1 - Original Owners - Rumor from a factory rep

Big Hank

Oakley Expert
Indiana
I have spent the last few days digging around researching TB1's and wanted to ask a question based off of my firsthand account of Oakley history. Watch serial number 11 is what got me thinking about this post.

Flashback to 1998-1999. I was working in a bicycle shop that had a lot of Oakley. We were very committed with clothes, shoes, etc... Even talk with the rep about Oakley having "Oakley Stores" and maybe we needed to consider owning one.

The rep (name I am not sure I should drop for privacy reasons) was showing me his polished TB1 with a two-digit serial number. It sounded like almost all of the sub 100 serial numbers would be finding their way to factory reps, friends of Oakley, or pro athletes with the corresponding jersey to serial number.

Is there ever any talk about the low serial number watches and if the person selling/owning the watch is the original owner? Example, watch sn# 11 was polished and blue, so I am wondering who was famous with the number 11 and a sports team that repped blue?

Thanks for the chat!

Follow up with examples of #11 being a blue Timebomb 1

Drew Bledsoe #11 played for the Patriots until 2001 and their color is blue...

Isiah Thomas was retired but #11 and played for the pistons, which are blue...

Mark Messier #11 Rangers and Canucks, also both teams that use blue...

Just curious. :)

Curious.. seems like a pretty low serial number.. do you think these engravings have any significance or just somebody's retirement gift?

Screenshot_20220203-212738_Gallery.jpg

20220203_212643.jpg

I have a Livestrong TB # 8, I am am just me, an athlete in my own mind.
Were any of the original TB’s Livestrong related? I’m thinking 1-99 were either polished, matte, or Jordan’s 00023 in gold. I don’t know enough about TB’s to know if the Livestrong watches would have restarted at #1.

Very cool to have a number so low.

Were any of the original TB’s Livestrong related? I’m thinking 1-99 were either polished, matte, or Jordan’s 00023 in gold. I don’t know enough about TB’s to know if the Livestrong watches would have restarted at #1.

Very cool to have a number so low.
I believe they did. I think all numbered models started from one. But I could be wrong.

I have a low serial TB, not sure the history on it. Somewhere on here there is a list....

I just realized who this was. Long time no see. Hope all is well!

So I have heard that this was actually an informal thing, but it was done and I own an example of it (although I don't have proof or evidence that the intended athlete ever owned the watch). The back story I received on the watch made sense and the person I purchased it from was reputable within Oakley at the time, the watch has hallmarks associated with the athlete and the corresponding number of his jersey as well. Hope this helps a little.

So I have heard that this was actually an informal thing, but it was done and I own an example of it (although I don't have proof or evidence that the intended athlete ever owned the watch). The back story I received on the watch made sense and the person I purchased it from was reputable within Oakley at the time, the watch has hallmarks associated with the athlete and the corresponding number of his jersey as well. Hope this helps a little.
POIDH
☺️

Back