• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Tincan reviews

Gixxer

Oakley Beginner
NorCal
This is for the ones who have owned the Tincan for awhile now. These particular has been in the market for a couple of years now? I would like your opinion as far as durability, comfort, and a daily use friendly? I'm looking for a pair that would be my daily "go to" sunglasses. I love the style. I'm also looking into the Triggerman but can't decide. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hey Gixxer, Tinfoil user here. Same as the Tincan but no bottom rim under the lenses. I have a couple pair and wear them regularly and like them. Comfortable and they stay put. Cool thing about them is the nose pieces come down on little stalks from the top of the frame and you can adjust not only the nose piece angle but also their front/back position because of the stalks. Cool feature and I use it!

;)

This is for the ones who have owned the Tincan for awhile now. These particular has been in the market for a couple of years now? I would like your opinion as far as durability, comfort, and a daily use friendly? I'm looking for a pair that would be my daily "go to" sunglasses. I love the style. I'm also looking into the Triggerman but can't decide. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Hey Gixxer, Tinfoil user here. Same as the Tincan but no bottom rim under the lenses. I have a couple pair and wear them regularly and like them. Comfortable and they stay put. Cool thing about them is the nose pieces come down on little stalks from the top of the frame and you can adjust not only the nose piece angle but also their front/back position because of the stalks. Cool feature and I use it!

;)

Thanks man. I've read about the tinfoil and like you said the main difference is the bottom rim. I personally prefer full frame which is why I would choose tincan over tinfoil. I didn't know about the nose piece being adjustable; that's good to know. Did you ever have problems having the adjustments loosening?

Thanks man. I've read about the tinfoil and like you said the main difference is the bottom rim. I personally prefer full frame which is why I would choose tincan over tinfoil. I didn't know about the nose piece being adjustable; that's good to know. Did you ever have problems having the adjustments loosening?

I have not. The "usual" nosepiece on similar frames are on the rim of the lens itself at the split for your nose. These come down from the top of the frame on 2 little metal stalks with the nosepieces themselves on the end. They stay put when you move them. I wouldn't want to repeatedly adjust them because over time I can see them weakening and breaking off....but why would you need to move them repeatedly? Not really an issue IMO. Very cool design if you haven't seen it. I think one of our mamagers has a pair on today, I'll post you a pic here when I track him down.

I own 7 different Tincans. All 6 of the carbons and 1 Ferrari stainless steel version.

I absolutely love the carbons. Much better feel and weight. The stems have a lot of flexibility, so they are more comfortable to people with wider heads. I can easily wear them all day with zero discomfort.

The stainless version are not as forgiving. With the stainless arms, I end up rubbing my head where the arms have pushed into my head by the end of the day. These are still a great pair, just really prefer the carbons.

Comfort wise:
Carbons - 10/10
Ss - 7/10

All of them have held up great. With the cam pivot, they are exceptionally well built.

I'm wearing one of my Tincan canbons today. They don't make it into my rotation on a regular basis, but when they do, I'm reminded of how much I love them. Great style and very comfortable fit. As @Toy4x mentioned, the stems have some nice flex so they form to your head and hold very securely. A great pair for sure!

20160128_182406_resized.jpg

I own 7 different Tincans. All 6 of the carbons and 1 Ferrari stainless steel version.

I absolutely love the carbons. Much better feel and weight. The stems have a lot of flexibility, so they are more comfortable to people with wider heads. I can easily wear them all day with zero discomfort.

The stainless version are not as forgiving. With the stainless arms, I end up rubbing my head where the arms have pushed into my head by the end of the day. These are still a great pair, just really prefer the carbons.

Comfort wise:
Carbons - 10/10
Ss - 7/10

All of them have held up great. With the cam pivot, they are exceptionally well built.

Wow 7 pairs? I was leaning on getting the carbon also with polarized oo red iridium lens. By any chance do you own that combo?

I'm wearing one of my Tincan canbons today. They don't make it into my rotation on a regular basis, but when they do, I'm reminded of how much I love them. Great style and very comfortable fit. As @Toy4x mentioned, the stems have some nice flex so they form to your head and hold very securely. A great pair for sure!

View attachment 266983

Nice pair you have. Are those polarized?

This question goes to everyone that posted their opinions above. The lens are flatter than most so it doesn't wrap around as much exposing the side of your eyes; any problems with too much light coming in on the side?

Back