• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Tintin 3D Gascan/Gravity Movie Review ***NO SPOILERS***

Lexkempo

Frog Fanatic
Montreal - South Shore
I went to see Gravity in 3D last night with the wife. I brought my pair of Tintin's and she laughed at me when i offered her my Hobbit's for the show.

All in all, the movie was quite good! If you suspend any knowledge of astro physics you might have and let the 3D immerse you, its quite the intense ride.

As for the glasses, i did quite a bit of switching back and forth during the movie.

The Fit: Asthetically, the Gascan are a little large for me. I'm more of a Gascan S kind of guy, any no one is looking at me in the theatre anyways. The Gascans really fit as the should, the lenses are large and wide and offer a good range of vision. The freebies felt a bit lighter than the Gassies, but i found that the small lenses and thick frames really restrict your field of vision (particularly since we were sitting almost in the front row)

The Finish: They're Oakley's, they look great, they're special edition/covered with awesome graphics and I'm very familiar with the feel of Gascans ... they win hands down over the freebies any day of the year. The freebies do seem to look more and more like Wayfarers too ... weird :S

The View: To be honest, i found the view to be quite similar. Apparently Gravity has the best 3D effects to date in a traditional movie theatre. I would like to do more A/B testing with different movies (and also sitting in different spots in the Theatre) As of now, I'm not sure i could positively tell which is which in a double blind test.

Useless Fact: These glasses are also useful for home Real 3D theatres

Conclusion: These pairs look great, feel great, offer a better field of vision and do exactly what they're supposed to do during a Real3D movie.

I was surprised i couldn't see any clarity or image quality difference between the freebies and the Gassies, but i enjoyed wearing them none the less.

Considering how 'useful' these pairs can be, they can be quite the expense. (150$)
Most theatres charge an extra 3$ for the glasses.
Try and find them on sale or second hand like i did. (around 50$)

They'll always make a nice addition to any O-collectors Cube/Countertop/Single Wide/Double Wide etc...

I give them a 7.5 out of 10

Pros:
+Build quality
+Great artwork on frames/micro clear/box (depending on the model)
+Greater field of vision than the freebies

Cons:
- Initial Cost
- Limited use (only good for Real3D movies/BD's)
- No image quality improvement over freebies (IMHO, for now)

I have not seen the movie, but it was four years in the making and allegedly got the science and the physics correct.

I saw Iron Man 3 in 3D with my Trons and it was pretty cool. I don't know if I saw a difference, but I like the full wrap.

the diffrence i found is the cheapo's tend to give me a headache where the Oakley ones do not Visualy i don't notice much diffrence

I have not seen the movie, but it was four years in the making and allegedly got the science and the physics correct.

I saw Iron Man 3 in 3D with my Trons and it was pretty cool. I don't know if I saw a difference, but I like the full wrap.
Did some reading in it after seeing the movie, apparently some things were awesomely done and others they used a bit of 'creative' physics...

All in all it's a real good movie... Not perfect story wise by any means but i was really into it and the 3D/cinematography made feel like I was into it to the point it made me nauseous ...

Great review. I watched Frozen (yeah, I know...) in 3D at home as well as Jack Ryan - Shadow Recruit on my Panasonic 42" 3D TV. I switched between the standard panasonic / some Polaroid premium 3D glasses and the GASCAN 3D and I have the following points to add...

Clarity
No Ghosting all around, the stand panasonic are more prone to "steaming" up a bit and the lenses are thiner so they are more difficult and fragile to clean. Both the Polaroid and the GASCAN had a more deeper since of colour. Interestingly the panasonic gives you a better natural white, but the GASCAN performs the best for richer colours and blacks.

Depth
This one is purely a rumour. All glasses had exactly the same depth of 3D effect

Field of view
The standard panasonic glasses are not good. I saw more of the frames than I did of the film. The Polaroid are the best and the frames are so large I could not see the edges. The GASCANs where pretty good with only the occasional site of the frame edges.

Comfort
The main problem with the panasonic standard as well as most cinema glasses is the feel. The bridge on the nose is never good and they don't sit at the back. The Polaroid have a brilliant bridge, but for me the pinch at the back of the ears and I'd say my head is pretty average! The GASCAN's for me are perfectly comfortable. The bridge is comfortable enough for a 3 hour movie and they sit well at the back meaning after a while I forget I'm wearing them!

Final Verdict
Definitely ditch your standard 3D home glasses for an upgrade for a better field of view and an increased level of comfort and you'll stop thinking of 3D as a fad and realise, why NOT get the film in 3D

On a budget, I recommend looking at the Polaroid Premium range of 3D glasses as well as possibly a new up and comment London brand called Bynnz, which I have had a chance to try and also vote really well. Field of view is 10/10 The only reason I can't call one of these the winner is because the comfort level can't compete with Oakley.

If you budget allows it, Get some GASCAN 3D glasses. You won't beat them in terms of comfort and the field of view is 9/10. With the GASCAN you can of course swap lenses so if you get some polarised lenses you can swap them and use the glasses outside on a summers day and home in the evening to watch your films!

Happy buying. Hope this is useful,

David Howells

Back