• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Tio2 frames, need prescription lenses?

emo72

Oakley Beginner
hi guys, i have a pair of these i think they are about 18 years old. i have them from new and put presciption lenses in them from new. the opticians where i bought them closed years ago, and i stopped wearing them years ago, cos i had to buy raybans unfortunately due to them being a more suitable shape for my prescribed lenses.

so where can i get prescription lenses nowadays? is it possible? first post, many questions, sorry!
thanks guys
emo

thanks kronin,
will look him up. i always thought i had romeos, but i pulled out the box and it says XX "Frame Tio2-----Lens Black Iridium. the original unused lenses are still there in the box. some spare rubber bits and the big coin X METAL 1999. im glad i didnt let my OH throw the box out.

When I called Oakley Customer Service earlier this year, Oakley's Rx department assured me they would make Rx lenses for my Juliets, so I imagine Oakley would make Rx lenses for XX frames, too. If so, you could order Oakley Rx lenses through an Oakley Rx dealer or through one of the O Stores that has an optician on staff.

Hey thanks for the heads up guys. If you send me a picture of your prescription, and a picture of the frame. I can give you a price quote. We can always do it over the phone too. I've done RX through Oakley for about 12 years. It won't be any problem my friend. I'll give you info about my business if you private message me! I can probably do lenses only, but you'd need to install the lenses yourself that way. Or you can send me the frame and I'll ensure a perfect fit!

You can get them cut, but its entirely dependent on the base curvature of the lenses for your frames and the strength of your prescription. I went into a lenscrafters (owned by oakley's parent company, luxottica) here in Canada for oem prescription oakley lenses to be cut for my friend's tiO2 XXs, and they said they could not cut a pair as his prescription was too strong (-5.00 including asitigmatism correction iirc). Also the stronger your prescription, the more distorted your peripheral vision will be, according to the lenscrafters people.

You can get them cut, but its entirely dependent on the base curvature of the lenses for your frames and the strength of your prescription. I went into a lenscrafters (owned by oakley's parent company, luxottica) here in Canada for oem prescription oakley lenses to be cut for my friend's tiO2 XXs, and they said they could not cut a pair as his prescription was too strong (-5.00 including asitigmatism correction iirc). Also the stronger your prescription, the more distorted your peripheral vision will be, according to the lenscrafters people.
Your friend may want to contact Oakley's Rx department directly to ask what options Oakley has available for putting his strong prescription into an XX frame. For example, Oakley offers OTD Edge lenses that are specifically designed to address the difficulties of putting strong prescriptions into high-wrap frames. Oakley claims that OTD Edge lenses can be made into prescriptions as strong as -6.00:
Oakley

Your friend may want to contact Oakley's Rx department directly to ask what options Oakley has available for putting his strong prescription into an XX frame. For example, Oakley offers OTD Edge lenses that are specifically designed to address the difficulties of putting strong prescriptions into high-wrap frames. Oakley claims that OTD Edge lenses can be made into prescriptions as strong as -6.00:
Oakley
Just keep in mind OTD Edge is limited to a select range of frames, x metals are not included.

If your friend has his heart set on putting prescription lenses in his XX frames, and Lenscrafters and Oakley can't make them, he might try asking an optician who dispenses high-index glass lenses about fitting prescription lenses for the XX. High-index glass lenses are thinner than the thinnest plastic lenses for the same prescription, so they may fit frames that plastic lenses cannot. Typically, glass lenses are heavier, less shatter-resistant, and more scratch-resistant than plastic, so they may not be appropriate for all uses. If no local opticians dispense high-index glass lenses, several labs on the internet fit custom prescription lenses from high-index glass.

If your friend has his heart set on putting prescription lenses in his XX frames, and Lenscrafters and Oakley can't make them, he might try asking an optician who dispenses high-index glass lenses about fitting prescription lenses for the XX. High-index glass lenses are thinner than the thinnest plastic lenses for the same prescription, so they may fit frames that plastic lenses cannot. Typically, glass lenses are heavier, less shatter-resistant, and more scratch-resistant than plastic, so they may not be appropriate for all uses.
I'd also recommend a Shamir Autograph Attitude brand lens. Digitally surfaced, compensated for aberrations in the wrap design. Go ask the docdoc 'bout it ;)

Back