• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

TiO2 Questions

Oaks 'Between The Hedges'

The OF Boogeyman 👹
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
As I progress with my X-Metal collection I've become intrigued by the many color combos I see. They all seem to be referred to as TiO2. I was under the impression that TiO2 meant x-metal stems and nose bridge with plasma orbitals. Then I see the gold combos, black combos, polished rather than plasma, etc.

Is the TiO2 term just used in a general sense to cover any combo? What was original oakley release TiO2? And just what the hell does TiO2 mean or stand for anyway?

As I progress with my X-Metal collection I've become intrigued by the many color combos I see. They all seem to be referred to as TiO2. I was under the impression that TiO2 meant x-metal stems and nose bridge with plasma orbitals. Then I see the gold combos, black combos, polished rather than plasma, etc.

Is the TiO2 term just used in a general sense to cover any combo? What was original oakley release TiO2? And just what the hell does TiO2 mean or stand for anyway?

The x-metal / plasma combo you describe is the only "official" TiO2, the only one released by Oakley. The other combos you're seeing are all custom, and people have unofficially, and inaccurately, been referring to two-color combos like those as TiO2.

TiO2 means Titanium Dioxide; the reason why it was used to name this colorway is not officially known, only speculated upon, AFAIK.

EDIT - I should mention there was a similar gold / plasma XX released by Oakley, but it was called 24K, not TiO2...

It's been a popular custom, either through refinish or parts swap. I have a couple of pairs of Juliets from a parts swap between a Carbon pair and a Plasma pair. I was calling them CO2 / reverse CO2, replacing the Ti with a C for Carbon, but the name didn't catch on. It wasn't technically accurate either, anyway. Then I also have a R2 done in a reverse "TiO2" with carbon and x-metal, a parts swap originally done by another forum member.

But my TiO2 XX is OEM.

The pic on o-review of the penny TiO2 you had recommended looks like it's carbon but it's probably x-metal...just looks dark. Apparently oakley never realeased a carbon penny.

The pic on o-review of the penny TiO2 you had recommended looks like it's carbon but it's probably x-metal...just looks dark. Apparently oakley never realeased a carbon penny.

It would have been the same as the others; that pic is CGI. Moot point since it was never released.

1469476987084.jpg