• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Tips For Modding Scalpel

pistolpetefan23

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
I picked up a pair of used but wearable Scalpels for a solid price but am considering doing some modding. Looking for some tips and help.

1. Are the earsocks and/or noise pieces replaceable? If so, how do you remove them and how do you replace them? I haven't seen any for sale, anyone have extras?

2. Are the icons interchangeable with any others? Do they remove via heat up and unpeel?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The only thing I can answer is that I believe the Icons on this model are only scalpel specific so I don’t think any other models icons will fit if that’s what you are asking. You can remove the icons and replace them with other scalpel icons or paint the ones you have. I use a blunt small screw driver and just be very careful they should just peel right off. It takes a little force though. Then you can use double sided tape to put them back on. I don't believe the ear socks are replaceable but I could be wrong about that. Not sure about the nose pieces either.

Thanks, I forgot that I'd had my eBay search settings set to US only. I've seen others say he's a solid seller, so wouldn't have any problems buying from him. Would you know how to actually replace the earsocks? Do they just slide off/on, is it grooved, is there an adhesive? Thanks!

From the few pics I've seen it looks like the front tips of earsocks "hook" on somewhere instead of require glue. I think the safest way to go is soak in hot/warm water and feel it out.

To remove the ear socks, first pull the thin section on the arm toward the lenses and down. You should feel it unhook from the ear stem. Then just slide the ear sock off the ear stem. Reverse the process to replace.

The nose pads are also removable. Just grab a hold and pull straight back from the frame. Make sure you pull straight back because the nose pads snap onto two prongs and you do not want to bend or snap them off. Some nose pads can be tougher than others to remove. In those cases I'll grab a towel, wrap it around the nose pad, and then pull them off with some pliers. Fyi, the nose pads are interchangable with the new straight jacket. If you just need a replacement set you can call up Oakley and they'll most likely send you one for free.

And as others have mentioned the icons peel off and are easy to change or replace.

i was thinking about cerakoteing some scalpels but i think i would change up the colors a bit

To remove the ear socks, first pull the thin section on the arm toward the lenses and down. You should feel it unhook from the ear stem. Then just slide the ear sock off the ear stem. Reverse the process to replace.

The nose pads are also removable. Just grab a hold and pull straight back from the frame. Make sure you pull straight back because the nose pads snap onto two prongs and you do not want to bend or snap them off. Some nose pads can be tougher than others to remove. In those cases I'll grab a towel, wrap it around the nose pad, and then pull them off with some pliers. Fyi, the nose pads are interchangable with the new straight jacket. If you just need a replacement set you can call up Oakley and they'll most likely send you one for free.

And as others have mentioned the icons peel off and are easy to change or replace.
Awesome, thanks a ton! I totally spaced on checking with Oakley. Called Customer Care on my way home tonight, talked to a real person in 20 seconds, and within 5 minutes he was sending me out replacement nose pieces and earsocks completely free. So I think I'll replace those when they get here, polish up the frames, paint the icons, and maybe put in a colored lens of some kind. Maybe I'll look into either a Dr Chop job or hydrocoat at some point down the road.

Latest Posts

Back