• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

To all of you Carbon Ichiro Owners

It sold on a best offer so only the seller and buyer will know exactly for how much. There are ways to find the ballpark number but nothing exact.
We'll know exactly on Friday when that data is available through Terapeak.

That's like asking why pay millions for original Picasso artwork when you could have a limited print for a couple hundred?
I think that there's a world of difference between an original Picasso and a pair of non-hammerstem carbon frames. We're not talking about the extreme difference between oil on canvas and a print, we're talking more like two pairs on the assembly line went 2 different directions- one went to the Ichiro arm etcher and one went to the carbon/black box. But I do understand the basic comparison them both being collector things subject to the unpredictability of emotion.
I personally have a problem wrapping my head around paying 1 or 2 thousand for a colorway that can be essentially duplicated for a fraction of the cost. Like a "Corvette" Juliet- you get a box with a label, carbon frames and 24K lenses. Nothing unique. You can make a pair for $300.. A great colorway to be sure but pay a $500 premium for the etching on the arm? Not for me.
Pay a $1500 premium for the etching on the arm of a carbon/blue Ichiro? Yeah you get the unique box but I don't see $2000 + value there and I don't think that there is much more upside remaining if "investing" in a pair.
I get a high price for a JBR- very few out there and unique brown frames that you can't clone from off-the-shelf parts. I get a high price for a copper penny, truly unique finish.
I get a high price for a GSR2- what, 13 known examples and cannot be cloned from off-the-shelf parts? But GS's fame outside the NHRA community doesn't come close to the worldwide legend of Ichiro so I see the broader demand for Ichiro stuff. I would still trade a GSR2 for a polished carbon Ichiro with hammerstems but not a carbon/blue without hammerstems. I just wouldn't.
I'd pay $700 for a carbon/blue, that's about it and that is of course my quite singular valuation.
Those that have them and appreciate them, I'm happy that they found something in this hobby that excites them.

We'll know exactly on Friday when that data is available through Terapeak.

Im very curious to find out too. Lets start the under/over at $1,800 lol.

Im taking over!

Interesting I didnt realise GSR2 was 13 known pairs. I thought the number was closer to 250 with the first 50 or 100 autographed. JBR is about 50 known pairs most with mismatched boxes. I think carbon blue ichiro was about 250-300 last based on forum estimates. But the funny thing with these numbers is that sometimes you see rare pieces popping up all the time. Like I remember a period where we had JBR left right center on ebay. Another interesting pair is the JPPL and JPPO. They were supposed to be 1500 to 2000 each but you frequently see the JPPL and rarely the JPPO based on my experience.

And of course RVF's carbon ruby lol. That is truly an unicorn.

Like I remember a period where we had JBR left right center on ebay
That was when SWININC was selling through them as I recall.

Interesting I didnt realise GSR2 was 13 known pairs. I thought the number was closer to 250 with the first 50 or 100 autographed.
Production appears to be about 600 but only 13 claimed so far. Man I'd love to have an autographed pair!

None of the GSR2 were autographed to begin with. What happened was the GSR2 was exclusive to the NHRA Rolling O at the very start. Most of us didn't have the ability to attend any NHRA events, so the only way to get the pair (as well as the Five 3.0) was to give the person who ran the Rolling O back then (and his wife) a call to see if they were willing to ship. Fortunately for most of us, they were agreeable to that. Along the way, someone had the bright idea to ask if they could get Scelzi to sign the box since they worked closely with him (as well as even closer to Scotty Cannon back in the day). That's how some boxes came to be autographed on the GSR2.

None of the GSR2 were autographed to begin with. What happened was the GSR2 was exclusive to the NHRA Rolling O at the very start. Most of us didn't have the ability to attend any NHRA events, so the only way to get the pair (as well as the Five 3.0) was to give the person who ran the Rolling O back then (and his wife) a call to see if they were willing to ship. Fortunately for most of us, they were agreeable to that. Along the way, someone had the bright idea to ask if they could get Scelzi to sign the box since they worked closely with him (as well as even closer to Scotty Cannon back in the day). That's how some boxes came to be autographed on the GSR2.
Didn't know that. And I have a autographed set :)

Go to completed listings.. Put highest first. While price won't show it still sits between an amount that sold higher and below it. So it will give rough est.

I think that there's a world of difference between an original Picasso and a pair of non-hammerstem carbon frames.

Maybe a better analogy, if you're familiar with the UK version of Top Gear, was in the "Buy an Italian supercar for £10k" challenge.

Clarkson bought a Maserati Merak SS. That turned out to be a stock Merak that a previous owner had stuck an SS badge on.

A custom "Ichiro" is a bit like that Maserati Merak "SS". Close, but not the real thing.

If I bought the imposter, I might still want the original and end up paying even more in the long run. So I'd sooner just buy the original at 6 times the price of the clone. I do see what you're getting it though.