• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

WraithEye

Oakley Beginner
My story started in 1997 when I graduated from high school. I bought a Romeo set as a gift to myself. I had a set of Frogskins before, but fell in love with the metal Romeos. Then they were stolen out of my desk at work. So I graduated college with an Associates Degree in 1999 and did the same thing, bought a Juliet set as another gift to myself. Through the years that was the only thing I wore, replaced the lenses a couple of time but never stopped wearing them. Fast forward to 2015 (yes, I got 16 years of continuous use out of them), the lenses were scratched to the point I needed them replaced. I thought to myself, these are old, time to just break down and buy new ones.

Had the conversation with my wife, SHE SAID NO! She informed me that I was not going to spend $350 on sunglasses. So in mass confusion, I had to come back with a snappy reply in under 10 seconds, I had to win this battle. Some of you know how this goes, you have been there. I asked her, "before you met me in 1999 to right now, how many sunglasses have you owned?" "Hell, I don't know, 30 pairs, I loose them and they break all the time," she replies. At that moment I felt like Ralphie working an angle to acquire the Red Rider BB gun against his parents. I asked how much each pair of sunglasses cost her, she immediately knew where this conversation was going and needless to say, I WON! So we took a trip to the local mall and made a mad dash to the Sunglasshut. I was wearing my Juliets on my head as I walked in, then I was approached by the manager there. He simply stated, "I will let you have anything you see in here if you let me have those Oakleys on your head." I was confused, at the time, I had no idea what I had, I did not know about Oakley being bought out by another owner. I did not know they discontinued Xmetal. I did not know then, lenses were no longer available. I laughed it off and said sure, I want another Juliet, maybe with blue lenses this time. He then informed me of the history and how it was impossible to get Juliets. I left Sunglasshut that day still wearing my Juliets on my head not believing what I heard. As I was walking out, another employee said, look on EBay, you could possible find something there.

To my amazement . . . When I got home, I started researching the net. I did look on EBay and discovered everything that was stated was true. I could not believe my eyes. Why would a company discontinue something that was so great. Since then, I have been looking locally through Craigslist and have purchased two additional frames. I found a 1st generation Romeo just like the ones that were stolen in 1997. I have just recently purchased a 3rd generation Juliet plasma with the blue lenses I wanted. This website has helped me find replacement parts through Linegear and offered advise and instruction on refurbishing frames.

The funny thing is, people are always commenting on my Xmetals, wanting to know where I bought them, when did they come out like it is something new on the market. They cannot believe they are over 15 years old. No other brand can offer that type of longevity. Thank you Oakleyforums for reviving my desire to own these. I plan on buying more styles (Penny and/or Romeo 2) in a variety of colors . . . I need green lenses next and possibly red ones.

:welcome:. Youre definitely at the right place.
Much love, my wife thinks I am still crazy, she simply does not understand until I point out the Coach purse. Then I ask, do you think you will get 16 years out of that, obviously not! My 14 year old son wants a pair, he really has been interested while I was taking them apart and replacing parts. I already have a truck for him when he turns 16, I was thinking of getting him some Juliets for the ride. Strength in numbers!

welcome Wraith glad to have you aboard!

You are one of the few whom has went to battle with a spouse and won. Congratulations on the win! Many of us go by the philosophy, better to ask forgiveness than permission. It's serves us well.

With a few more posts you'll gain access to our Exchange forums where members are able to buy/sell/trade/request for hard to find items. Believe it or not you can find OEM parts still available as this forum reaches Oakley fans all over the world.

There are others who cut their own lenses @Chris A Hardaway is one in particular that is very popular.

welcome. congrats on craigslist finds! I will tell you that the value holding & sometiemd increasing for certain items helps with the spousal conversation.

cheers!

You have entered the twighlight zone.... The place where your wallet is being sucked dry... Where you find crazy people like you... Where you find never ending talk about o matters, xmetals and rare pieces.... "you can check out anytime you like... But you can never leave"... You are one of us now....
Lol. That's great

Back