• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Tool For Nose Bridge Tune Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmetal40

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
USA
Is there a specific tool? Anyone care to explain the process of a tune up?

That's funny!

What should I pull the pins with?

What should I pull the pins with?
Gnomes right? What do I win?
The Cilff notes version is you need the mechanical ability to build a jig to allow you to gently drive the pins out- from front to back - that secure the orbitals to the flex coupler. And you need to be able to do this to them without crushing the curved surface on the front of the pin so that you can reuse them and reinsert them after you find a suitable material to replace the rubber "bushings" in the flex coupler.
If you try it yourself and screw it up, The X Man charges you double so most of us just forgo the drama and send them to The X Man initially.

Add in to it that the tune up is fairly cheap and lasts (not sure if anyone has worn out an X-Man tuneup yet) so the cost of a tune vs the jig needs to be taken into account.

I'm a mechanically inclined person and I work on my own firearms. I'm fairly confident I could get it done, but I have quite a lot of specialty clamps and dome-pin punches.

Fact: I own the first pair that The X Man did and they are not loose yet.

Oh, if you do a little digging there is a "tool" for removing the rivets. I think it's a modified bike chain pin pusher. Certainly not purpose-built and has its drawbacks. There are people on the forum that have used other methods.

It's fairly simple. The tricky part is the odd geometry of sunglass frames.

I made 2 tools, a removal and an installation tool. Both work well for the job. I will say that it took me a couple days to really put together what it would take to do this, and to do it right. the key to anything like this is making sure you are patient and careful .

Used the X Man's services twice. Excellent both times!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back