• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Top Tips for Selling Your Oakleys in the Exchange Area

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Updated on 28th June, 2018 by cacatman

If you have any tips on how to improve people’s sales threads, please leave a comment!

Top Tips to Help Your “For Sale” Threads (& avoid ridicule):-
  1. Describe the REAL CONDITION of the frame well.
  2. It’s OK to be a little high on price, but if the price is ridiculously high, then be prepared for what follows.
  3. Be aware of what is shown in your pics. Don’t have something in the background or lens reflection you don’t want to be seen. People will notice.
  4. Don’t ask why something isn’t selling. You may not like the answer!
  5. If advertising multiple items, be organized (I ran with American spelling because I lifted this stuff (with minor corrections) from @lacampbell2005)
  6. Listen to constructive criticism as just that....constructive!
  7. Most important...don’t get angry or take things personally. Just like lions, if blood is smelt, the pride comes running. :)
  8. Don’t write a “presale” warning that you’re going to sell. Just prepare the ad and list the items with the price and the pics at one time.
  9. Follow up PMs in a timely manner. Sometimes PMs getting overlooked due to the amount of correspondence causes a lot of negative feelings and possibly negative posts towards a seller, if a buyer feels like they've been ignored or overlooked.
  10. Take good clear photos from different angles, especially of any defects/damage.
  11. If selling more than one item, don’t open up different threads. Please list in the one thread (@Nortika)
  12. Please properly clean your frames before sending (@Jmgarcia). You can use autosol to clean frames (especially works well on plasma). But please note, will partially remove surface finish. That’s how it removes stains!! (@SEAN WAYNE)
  13. Stating either firm or OBO (or best offer) could help eliminate unwanted PM's (@Tinman)
  14. Clean up your thread after the sale so no one bumps it unnecessarily when everything is sold. Change the title prefix appropriately to "Sold", "Traded", or "Found". If selling multiple items in a single thread, mark which ones are sold, and change the title prefix when everything in that list is gone. And close your thread (@iamFLIP)
  15. Don't attack people publicly if their stuff is overpriced. PM them. Attacking them makes the community smaller (@Linegear Japan)
  16. Read the rules.... Rules on X-Metal Exchange - Please Read Before Posting In The X Metal Exchange Section, Exchange Guidelines - Exchange Guidelines, and Forum Rules - Forum Rules (@Linegear Japan)
  17. Do your homework on what something is really worth! (@pjd1234)
P.S. Tips 1-9 from @lacampbell2005. Thanks, brother!

Last edited:
I would suggest keeping the reason behind selling out of the ad as well. If you are looking to move to a different hobby or even different collection is one thing, but having personal info does not always help.
Some people specify the reason, so the ad has more legitimacy, e.g. especially if they sell quickly. It’s so people don’t think there is something wrong with the pair.

And sometimes they explain the reason to appeal to people‘s compassion e.g. some have liquidated their collections to pay for stuff because they lost their job or their kid got sick. If it’s legitimate, those sorts of reasons would certainly make me consider NOT to try to smash down the price too much. I’m sure a lot of people here would feel the same way.

If your selling a used item please please please for the love of Trump, clean the frame before shipping or at least disclose that the item is used, has a bunch of DNA and your too lazy to take it apart and scrub it. I’ve had some questionable x metal frames mailed to me and even though I generally clean them prior to wearing them, it’s not fun handling goo and human fluids.

If your selling several items, list them on one thread instead of Several individual threads, you can add 15 pictures, and you can also use your conversation with an individual to leave feedback.
If your selling a used item please please please for the love of Trump, clean the frame before shipping or at least disclose that the item is used, has a bunch of DNA and your too lazy to take it apart and scrub it. I’ve had some questionable x metal frames mailed to me and even though I generally clean them prior to wearing them, it’s not fun handling goo and human fluids.
Updated. Thanks gentlemen.

I’ve also seen some presale messages get some ridicule. IMO, if you are going to list items for sale, just properly prepare the ad and list the items with the price and the pics at one time.
Also, follow up in a timely manner. I've seen, and been screwed by, people selling a lot of good items at once, then not checking their PMs for a day and PMs getting overlooked due to the amount of correspondence. This can cause a lot of negative feelings and possibly posts towards a seller if a buyer feels like they've been ignored or overlooked.

I’ve also seen some presale messages get some ridicule. IMO, if you are going to list items for sale, just properly prepare the ad and list the items with the price and the pics at one time.
Also, follow up in a timely manner. I've seen, and been screwed by, people selling a lot of good items at once, then not checking their PMs for a day and PMs getting overlooked due to the amount of correspondence. This can cause a lot of negative feelings and possibly posts towards a seller if a buyer feels like they've been ignored or overlooked.
You’ve got a lot of great suggestions. I feel like a phoney putting this thread together. You should have done it and maintain it!!!

Latest Posts

Back