• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Troubleshooting Oakley 256 thumps! Please Help!

SteamTest

Oakley Beginner
Hello to the people of the oakley forum and visitors of this thread, i just got a pair of thumps, bought them locally, the seller has previously left it untouched and stored for a long time and said that he doesn't know if it's gonna turn on…

So i went through with multiple tests, tried charging it and the red light blinks, nice i suppose!, then i plugged it into my laptop's usb driver and it actually reads it as "THUMP256"!, i checked when the files inside the thump was last added and it said that the last time it was modified was 2005, i proceed to do more tests and transferred some music in, transferred really fast for an old gadget! like 1.7 mbps-ish. also got the original lenses and genuine software sunglass bag.

So here's the problem, it won't make a noise… i pressed the power button and there's no "thump" noise that i was told, pressed the previous music and power button to reset it and it resets according to my laptop as it re-insert the driver without me pulling the cable out, charged it for 3 hour-ish and it's still blinking red (which is normal probably), but still no noise.

So what's the problem? is it the battery? (couldn't be the battery cause the thing is fully alive),
is it because of my cable or how i charge it? (i charged it using a non oakley thump usb cable and charged it using my laptop cause i don't want to use a charging head just in case the volt is too big.),
is it because of the software not being updated for a long time? (last accessed was 2005 as mentioned) and if it is because of the software, please give me the file to the newest thump 1.5 software cause i can't access the oakley site that provides that anymore.
and is it also because this things earphone is dead? (is it possible? well like any electronics probably lol),
last question would probably be would it be because this thing has not been turned on or charged for at least 10 years and now needs to warm up again to work?

Please i would love an answer, i want these things to work cause why not, thank you very much for any assistance and i'm looking forward for these things to work again so that it can actually be of use than just gathering dust…

Also if anyone knows or has the .sfx for the "thump" noise that these makes, put them in this thread please.

Thanks again to everyone involved.

20221013_075748.jpg

if the light is still blinking after 3 hours of charging, its shot. The light will stay solid if its charged past 80% and it should charge to 80% off your computer in about an hour. The blinking light means it thinks its below 30% charge, so that could be anywhere from 0% to 30%.

There are a lot of places around to get batteries for these though.

if the light is still blinking after 3 hours of charging, its shot. The light will stay solid if its charged past 80% and it should charge to 80% off your computer in about an hour. The blinking light means it thinks its below 30% charge, so that could be anywhere from 0% to 30%.

There are a lot of places around to get batteries for these though.
Damn it's probably the battery then, will have to get it checked soon, is it supposed to still register as a drive to my laptop though?

also getting spare parts won't be easy around here… are those batteries exclusive to oakley or is there a specific battery like that? if so what's the name of it? cause oakley spare parts especially these aren't cheap usually lol…

Thank you for the input Micah!

The memory is just flash, so it will show up as a drive just like a thumb drive would. With or without the battery working.

Check ebay. There's been a guy selling the batteries on there for years. I've gotten a few from him.

The memory is just flash, so it will show up as a drive just like a thumb drive would. With or without the battery working.

Check ebay. There's been a guy selling the batteries on there for years. I've gotten a few from him.
Ah alright, thanks again Micah! i'll keep these in mind.

Back