• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Troy Lee "Not Made In USA"!!!!! WTF?!?!?!?!

I knew this as well, but i also heard rumors that Luxottica had plans to outsource all manufacturing to China, which meant assembling in China as well. I guess i jumped to conclusions :embarassed:

From what I know, most frames are made in China and sent back to the US for assembling and then from there it goes down the line for testing and quality control. So the 2nd half of the process (and IMO the most important) is done in house in California so I'm still ok with that.

I'm sure this was always the case. How else would China have access to make counterfeits?

I think it's safe to say that anything that has a counterfeit is made elsewhere.

From what I know, most frames are made in China and sent back to the US for assembling and then from there it goes down the line for testing and quality control. So the 2nd half of the process (and IMO the most important) is done in house in California so I'm still ok with that.

I'm happy with this too. BUT in truth they are not MADE in the U.S.A. but it is being used by Oakley as a selling point. They are made in China & assembled in the U.S.A. Still won't stop be buying them just as long as their standards DO NOT drop otherwise i guess i'll only buy the older models.

I'm happy with this too. BUT in truth they are not MADE in the U.S.A. but it is being used by Oakley as a selling point. They are made in China & assembled in the U.S.A. Still won't stop be buying them just as long as their standards DO NOT drop otherwise i guess i'll only buy the older models.

I agree, it is deliberate mis-selling. Technically they are not lying, but they are not being 100% honest either, they really do play on the "Made in USA" tag. It's the same with the 'Limited Edition' & 'Collectors Edition' tags which don't really mean what you think they do, as had been said on many other posts here. Tut, tut, tut Oakley.

A point I would like to make - and for those that don't like politics, don't read on - is that manufacturing stuff in China goes against many things Oakley, as a US company, stands for. The human rights abuses in China are well known, something we in the west wouldn't stand for from our governments, something the US as a government constantly raises with China, and goes against the cultural values of the USA. It annoys me that we can culturally disagree with the actions of a country, yet quite happily buy product made in that country because they're cheap. It's hypocrisy.

Rant over.

Back