• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

True Digital vs Advance vs Advance Plus

I finally received a response from Oakley:

Thank you for contacting Oakley! I'm happy to answer your questions.

The differences between these lenses are the technologies that are applied to them.

The Oakley True Digital lenses are our standard lens technology.

The OTD Advance lenses are a more customized technology, which allows for additional measurements to be added to the lens to make sure your prescription is as accurate as possible. If this option is chosen, we will need your pupillary distance measurement. This can either be written on the prescription or supplied via call or email upon ordering.

The OTD Advance Plus lenses are an option for lenses that have a higher curvature. This includes both the above technology and the addition to a specialized groove to the edge of the glasses. This groove blocks the distortion that sometimes occur when higher prescription are applied to high curvature lenses.

The differences between these lenses are the technologies that are applied to them.

The OTD Advance lenses are a more customized technology, which allows for additional measurements to be added to the lens to make sure your prescription is as accurate as possible. If this option is chosen, we will need your pupillary distance measurement. This can either be written on the prescription or supplied via call or email upon ordering.

The OTD Advance Plus lenses are an option for lenses that have a higher curvature. This includes both the above technology and the addition to a specialized groove to the edge of the glasses. This groove blocks the distortion that sometimes occur when higher prescription are applied to high curvature lenses.
WTF to the statement I underlined and made bold??? That measurement is critical in any eyewear order and should NEVER be omitted , especially with multi focal lenses and higher RX’s. Having that measurement allows the optics to be centered along the visual axis of your eyes ..

Upcharging to include pupillary distance as part of the prescription eyewear order is absolutely asinine .

@Chris A Hardaway I would love to hear your thoughts .

Last edited:
WTF to the statement I underlined and made bold??? That measurement is critical in any eyewear order and should NEVER be omitted , especially with multi focal lenses and higher RX’s. Having that measurement allows the optics to be centered along the visual axis of your eyes ..

Upcharging to include pupillary distance as part of the prescription eyewear order is absolutely asinine .

@Chris A Hardaway I would love to hear your thoughts .
They all require a PD measurement. You are correct.

I believe what that customer service rep meant was specialized measurements like Wrap Angle, Vertex distance, and Pantoscopic Tilt angle can be allow to the OTD advance and Advanced Plus. The advanced plus probably helps reduce unwanted astigmatism and is a must for higher RX I bet on the 8.75 curve like flak or gibston models.... whereas the advance is fine for Holbrook or flatter, lower rx scripts.

Wrap angle tends to vary from 10 to 22 degrees on sunglasses, 6 base average about 12, 8 base average 18-20. Panto tilt can go from 0 to about 12 degrees, Average is about 8 or 9. Lastly vertex distance In mm.... average is about 12.... my big nose keeps frames furter off my face.

In the market for new lenses and came across the new options. Had to search a while but eventually I found this.

44864462-34E8-4F41-ABFE-C6C8401D1084.jpeg

This sounds like kind of a confused answer.

Advance and advance plus appear to be different levels of progressive technology to increase the sweet spot for reading (see the image from my previous post), which is why they are ONLY available with progressive lenses. You do not have the option for anything other than OTD for single vision lenses.

The groove the CS rep is referring to is Oakley’s solution to doing higher Rx on higher base curve lenses. Normally this will result in a truly ridiculous thickness at the periphery of the lens as well as distortion. In order to keep the lens manageable they shave it down on the edges to make it thinner, and then apply gradient frosting to the lens so you can’t see out of the distorted bit. The rationale is that it reduces your FOV, but the periphery is so distorted that it just screws up your vision anyway, so they frost it so you don’t get strain from trying to focus but can still see motion. A tradeoff to enable a wrap lens, but nothing to do with progressive Rx.

These should be available for clear, transitions, and prizm gaming. In optical frames. Not sun styles
Yes. Sounds right. The configurator offered those options as well. I’m looking at Rx frames. Just realized I said lenses. I meant glasses, but I was confused by the new lens options and ended up finding this thread.

The image I found seems to explain what I need to know, and it seems you were right about them. I did not see an option for OTD elite though.

See this for a continuation in 2023.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back