• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Tune Up For Juliet XT Serial

morafa4

Oakley Beginner
Hi there - new to the forum, but longtime Oakley owner. I've lurked around the site for a while and was hoping if I could get some friendly advice on a pair of Juliets I have.

Haven't worn them for maybe 10 years and now that I've finally worked up the courage to send them away to restore them to ship shape order - so clearly a Oakley Tune Up is necessary.

Frames have some light tarnishing, lenses desperately need to be replaced, as for all the rubbers/plastics (temple shocks rated 15) and a tightening of the bridge (flex coupler).

My question is: Does Oakley touch the finish, can this be requested (finish is a unfinished matte steel color)? Am I to expect all of these issues to be addressed (including glass replacement)?

If the glass comes standard in the tune up or if not, can I request a different color lens that didn't originally come with the glasses (they currently have Black Iridium)?

If any of these issues are not addressed, can they be requested?

I figured I'd study up and get all my ducks in a row before calling them up, just because I have heard of some inconsistency in CS and want to know what to say without being too demanding or too naive.

Anyways thanks in advance to any and all who reads this - any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

Picture of what they look like:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56597874@N05/6907786433/in/set-72157625532293410/

P.s. Has anyone ever experienced the light tarnishing (occasional black spot on frame, and/or light greenish tarnish around machined edges?

If the serial is xt, the glasses you have are XX rather than Juliet's. Oakley is hit or miss on xx tuneups, but forum member @xman can tune them up and get you up and running again. Rubber can be found via linegear on eBay, or Juliet rubber can be used in a pinch.

Discoloration is common depending on which generation of plasma was used for the orbitals. Does your serial end in a letter or just numbers?

Lenses can still be had from oakleys website for the xx metal.

Thanks for the brief reply! I thought they were XX when I got them - but remember being told they were Juliet XXs - I am still kind of confused with the naming of the X-metals. I remember thinking that Romeos had 2 screw notches on each orbital, and Juliets just one. Anyhow.

The serial ends in just numbers. I'll take a picture of them later and update to this thread. Yeah, my main concern is restoring these to as new condition, and keep them as original as they can be - the way they were when I first decided I had to have them. The part that probably bothers me the most is that around the flex coupler pins, there are some light orangey hues that suggest very light rusting and oxidization.

I'll look into @xman, but for now, were the concerns stated above something that Oakley could handle under their Tune Up service? Thanks again for the reply!

yeah thats a Gen1 Tio2 colorway XX. i would not retouch the finish - gen1 Tio2s are beautiful as they stand, even slightly discolored, is more valuable in that state than refinished. please dont refinish a gen1 Tio2.. thats just sacriledge. if it was a plain Xmetal color, i would say do it, but in this case...

the rust marks around the flex coupler pins can be easily removed with a soft nylon brush and some water. in additon, if you hacvent cleaned the frame, give it a good thorough wash in warm water and soap, and dry thoroughly with a towel.

Haha. Its kind of funny that I'm just now learning there proper model name after so long. Thanks for the rust mark removal advice! What makes them colorways?

Haha. Its kind of funny that I'm just now learning there proper model name after so long. Thanks for the rust mark removal advice! What makes them colorways?
The term colorway just refers to the stock (or sometimes modified with custom lenses etc) color that the frame/lenses/rubbers came in. Basically when you go to Oakley.com and pick a pair you'll see something like this-

CRANKCASE®

SKU# OO9165-05

Color: Matte Black/Violet Iridium

In this case the colorway would be Matte Black/Violet Iridium on the Crankcase frame. Same thing applies to other older frames like the X-Metal XX 24K etc.

sorry let me explain - a "colorway " is the combination of the frame color and lens color, to describe the color scheme of the glasses.

you have a tio2 XX - which has "XMETAL" colored arms and nosebridge, and "PLASMA" colored orbitals. this color combination frame is somewhat special, and the first generation of this color combination was especially desireable due to the matte, bone white look of the PLASMA on the orbitals. so dont go polishing them out now, ya hear?!!

Ah ok - yeah, that makes sense, especially since they are devoid of color, other than light gray and dark gray. As for the wiggle between the flex coupler and orbitals, this is something that Oakley tune-up would take care of correct?

So I just got off the phone w/ the Oakley warranty people, and they are saying that they've discontinued the XX metals from their Tune Up service since they are out of stock on all parts. Even though I told them they were XX Tio2s, they still said I should take pictures of them and send them to their customer care email so they can verify that they're not Juliets, in which case they could be serviced.

They said they wouldn't even tighten up the frames on them. So I'm kinda back to square one on this - any of you guys know of anyone who can tighten up the flex couplers and where to procure all the necessary rubber bits? :(