• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

tungsten vs black lenses

jjoe123

Oakley Beginner
Hi,

I'm trying to decide between the tungsten and black sunglasses lenses. I'm using it mostly for everyday and light sports (hiking, trail running). I have been using the black ones for many years now. They are dark but do the trick. Due to many recommendations was wondering if it is time to switch and try the tungsten ones. My main concern is how they are in sunny super bright days in the summer - will the tungsten be too bright and pass too much light? or both are fine and will not hurt my eyes too much?

Hi,

I'm trying to decide between the tungsten and black sunglasses lenses. I'm using it mostly for everyday and light sports (hiking, trail running). I have been using the black ones for many years now. They are dark but do the trick. Due to many recommendations was wondering if it is time to switch and try the tungsten ones. My main concern is how they are in sunny super bright days in the summer - will the tungsten be too bright and pass too much light? or both are fine and will not hurt my eyes too much?

They are apples and oranges. Tungsten is a contrast lens and boosts colors and contrast for everything around you. A lot also depends on the climate around you. If you stay somewhere with lots of strong sun and hot summers, black lenses may be ideal and tungsten may feel too bright but for places that have dull days most of the time, tungsten would be perfect. Highly recommend you visit a store to try out a pair to see if the tint suits your requirements.

Tungsten may give a better result when running in and out of shade on the trail (better definition due to contrast). Only in very bright conditions will Tungsten be limiting.
Buy both, be happy.

Back