• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Tungsten Vs Titanium Iridium

demitri.prometheus

Oakley Expert
SoCal
I have the Tungsten which is sort of like a brownish with yellow color. I tried the Titanium Iridium at an O-Store before but can vaguely remember. Anybody who has both? What's the main difference between the two? I remember the Titanium Iridium being more of a neutral brown, is that accurate?

Thanks!

Titanium:
Light Transmission: 10%
Conditions: extremely bright light
Protection Index: 3
Neutral / Contrast: Contrast

Tungsten:
Light Transmission: 15%
Conditions: medium to bright light

Titanium:
Light Transmission: 10%
Conditions: extremely bright light

Tungsten:
Light Transmission: 15%
Conditions: medium to bright light

Ok guess I was wrong :p. I do have to say that Tungsten looks black to everyone that looks at you which makes it a sweet lens cause its Brown for you.

Tungsten, in my eyes at least, have less contrast than the Titanium. I have the Nanowire 2.0 Tungsten Polarized pair and another set of Titanium Gascan's, and the Nanowire's are truer in color than the Gascan's. They are both spectacular lenses though.

Btw, I meant to ask about the polarized versions. But I suppose there's not much difference in the color/tint besides the capability of blocking additional glare?

Can you guys kindly describe the color (what color you perceive when wearing it) for the Titanium Iridium? I just tried my Tungsten Polarized and they're indeed brownish-yellow for me.

Thanks!

I would say the Titanium has a stronger tint. It is much browner/bronze looking than the Tungsten. As far as polarization, I think the polarized version has a lower transition (12%?). I've never used the standard Tungsten before, so I am not sure :sad:

I now have both Tungsten polarized and Titanium polarized.
I prefer looking through Tungsten. I feel it is more contrasty than Titanium. Titanium seems duller than Tungsten, and not just because its slightly darker.
But Titanium has a more reflective iridium coating so harder to see your eyes, if this is important to you. Tungsten has a fairly light iridium mirror.
For an every day tint, Tungsten for sure. It's just nice to look through and easy on the eyes. High contrast so it can stay on in cloudy, bright indoors and shaded areas all the way to fairly bright sunlight. You'll never need to take them off.
But for bright sunlight, especially for those who say Prizm Daily is not dark enough, I think Titanium performs well in bright sun and deals with glare quite well and is still a nice contrast lens.

The strong tint makes titanium a fun lens to play around with, its pretty unique to look through. My only Oil Rig has one.

I heard all titanium lenses are being discontinued by Oakley so get it while you can.

Latest Posts

Back