• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Turbine Gen 1 - Ear Socks "Bulging" or "Bowing" or "Stretching"?

adamsapple19

Oakley Expert
Colorado
Background: Bought these custom from Vault store in May 2016 (so just under a year ago). I believe they are called the Generation 1 Turbines (Square Interchangeable Icons vs. Ellipse Interchangeable Icons). I have 8 icons which I swap out, on average, once/2 to 2.5 weeks. Sometimes I don't swap for several few weeks, sometimes I'll swap twice in a week.

Pics Below: In order to properly illustrate my concern, I have taken several pics. First pic is a front/side view of the full glasses - the "bulge" or "bowing" is difficult to see in this pic but can be seen if you look close enough.

Following are pics from directly above each stem in a kind of "panning" order to better illustrate the bulge/bowing out of the ear socks. The bowing that is occurring is consistent on both sides (they're both "bulged" the same amount).

Questions:
1) Has anyone seen this? Is this common with these?
2) What is causing the ear socks to bow out like this? They don't seem to be loose in the frame (except obviously where mentioned).. they appear to be "tight" from front to back along the ear stem .. there is no obvious visual evidence that the socks are not "in tight" but then again I am not an expert.
3) Is the Unobtainium bending or getting sort of "stretched out" from the interchanging of icons and/or from general wear? I do tend to sweat pretty heavily and easily, but I don't wear the Turbines all the time. I shave my head and thus also do not have any hair care products like gels or sprays that might be potentially caustic over time to the Unobtainium.
4) Whatever the cause, can I expect it to get any worse? The average person is unlikely to even notice this but of course it drives me bonkers because they're my God damn Oakleys!
5) Is there any fix for this? Perhaps removing the ear socks and putting them back in, making sure they're as tight as possible? Not even sure how I would do this or do it properly to ensure I don't cause more harm than potential good.

I love that I can change out the icons and have gone out of my way to amass my icon collection from various sources (well, to me it's a collection, I'm sure some folks here would laugh at what I consider a "collection").

In fact I have a 9th set on the way (Annodized Red!). And IN FACT, I have another pair of these Gen 1 frames (only) on the way to match up with the extra set of lenses I picked up at the Vault store 30% off this weekend (actually bought the Ruby replacements seen in the frame this weekend, the Sapphires in the other pic were the original lenses with the custom purchase). I thought it would be cool to have two frames with two different color ear socks (black and slate) and two very different lenses to swap icons with.

So, at a minimum, I want to make sure that whatever is happening to these ear socks in these frames DOES NOT happen to the ear socks in the new matte black (slate socks) frames that are arriving today.

Any assistance/insight is appreciated. Thanks.

20170404_1618511.jpg
turbine right ear sock (1).jpg
turbine right ear sock (2).jpg
turbine right ear sock (3).jpg
turbine left ear sock (1).jpg
turbine left ear sock (2).jpg
turbine left ear sock (3).jpg
turbine left ear sock (4).jpg

20170405_085902.jpg

Nicely done!
I'm no Turbine expert, but any Turbine I've seen has those symmetrical bulges. I assumed they were a design element.
They appear to hug pretty tight on the ear stem...

Nicely done!
I'm no Turbine expert, but any Turbine I've seen has those symmetrical bulges. I assumed they were a design element.
They appear to hug pretty tight on the ear stem...

The bulge is unique to the one I've had for 11 months. It didn't start out that way and the new one I just got has no bulge whatsoever - see contrasting pics below.

I have 3 pair with the Sq "O" and I just checked them. All mine also bulge a little.

You can confirm all 3 of yours bulge as highlighted below? If so, is anyone aware of the cause behind the eventual bulging and possibly how to prevent it from happening?

It just doesn't look right at all.

Pics:
Two pairs of above referenced Turbines from three different angles.
Pics 1 & 2: Same pic, "bulge" highlighted
Pics 3 & 4: Same pic, "bulge" highlighted
Pics 5 & 6: Same pic, "bulge" highlighted

20170406_092027.jpg
20170406_090431.jpg
20170406_092107.jpg
20170406_090439.jpg
20170406_094402.jpg
20170406_090146.jpg

If I'm doing something wrong I'd like to figure it out so I can at least prevent the bulging or stretching (or whatever is going on) from happening to the new pair. I've invested too much time and money in frames, lenses, and an icon collection to watch the ear socks do this - and I am unable to locate any Replacement Gen 1 Turbine ear socks on ebay (there are Gen 2s available but the Ellipse icon is a mismatch to the Gen 1 frame).

Last edited:
Mine does not have that bulge like in your picture. The ones I have have about the same amount sticking out from one end to the other.

Have you taken these rubbers out? changed them. I know you said you changed the "O's"?

It looks like it happens right where it comes thru on the back side as well. If these have been taken out they may just need pushed in a little more so the inside of the robber comes out more?
Hope that makes sense?

Mine does not have that bulge like in your picture. The ones I have have about the same amount sticking out from one end to the other.

Have you taken these rubbers out? changed them. I know you said you changed the "O's"?

I have never removed the earsocks. They were put in to the frame at the Vault store as part of the custom build in May 2016. They were tight then and must have gradually stretched because I never really noticed the stretching until ~6 weeks ago. Have you ever taken your earsocks out?

I do change the icons, as stated, "on average, once/2 to 2.5 weeks. Sometimes I don't swap for several few weeks, sometimes I'll swap twice in a week". I use a small paper clip to pop out the icons when I do. BTW, am curious, is there anything more precise/appropriate/ideal to pop the icons than a paper clip? Does Oakley make something?

As I am unsure what's causing the stretching, I now very carefully, delicately, and slowly pop out the icons on my Turbines - making sure I actually "squeeze" tightly the area that's stretching. Not to say that I was previously "aggressively" popping out the icons (or that this is even a contributing factor), but I was doing so without all the care and concern I do now.

It looks like it happens right where it comes thru on the back side as well. If these have been taken out they may just need pushed in a little more so the inside of the robber comes out more?
Hope that makes sense?

Yea, I know what you're saying. The "stretching" is occurring at the same highlighted points (on both stems). On the ear stem, it's actually happening exactly in between the Icon changing "cavity" and where the unobtainium earsock begins (from the view of the inside of the ear stem, not the outside).

Below is a "panorama" of individual pics (starting from the inside of the stem moving up and toward the outside where the bulge/stretching can then be seen) showing the exact (and bizarre) location of the stretching or bowing. It's this odd location that makes it difficult to pinpoint the cause and/or solution.

Inked20170413_093256_LI.jpg
Inked20170413_093303_LI.jpg
Inked20170413_093308_LI.jpg
Inked20170413_093318_LI.jpg
Inked20170413_093347_LI.jpg
Inked20170413_093410_LI.jpg
20170413_093410.jpg
Inked20170413_093417_LI.jpg
20170413_093417.jpg

I had this happen with my Gen 1 Turbines as well. I believe it happened after making them my running pair so they became very sweaty but not sure if that's coincidence or not. I really wanted to keep the square O as I prefer it on this frame but couldn't find replacement "Oakley" style black ear socks. My local O Store ending up doing a straight exchange for the newer style, which while bummed at the time, I've grown to love. So far no bulge, but now I'm paranoid!

I had this happen with my Gen 1 Turbines as well. I believe it happened after making them my running pair so they became very sweaty but not sure if that's coincidence or not. I really wanted to keep the square O as I prefer it on this frame but couldn't find replacement "Oakley" style black ear socks. My local O Store ending up doing a straight exchange for the newer style, which while bummed at the time, I've grown to love. So far no bulge, but now I'm paranoid!

What frame was it that it happened to? A Matte colorway or Polished?

Latest Posts

Back