• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Turbine is too small, will Offshoot fit?

fett42

Oakley Beginner
Hello, I am new here, but I love Oakley sunglasses. My problem is most of them are way too small for me. I currently have a pair of Square Wire 2.0 that have been adjusted outward to fit my head. I have a rather large, fat head. Today I went to a glasses retailer and tried on a lot of different Oakley sunglasses. I did some research on this forum before looking around. I wanted to see what styles work for a larger head. The only pair I found that was comfortable was a pair of Radarlock Path. The store had two different pairs and only one pair fit me. The other pair was too narrow for some reason. I didn't like the look of the pair that fit due to the tiger striped pattern. I originally went there to try on Turbines, but those were too narrow around the temple area, which is where I have the most trouble with glasses fitting me. I also have kind of high or fat cheeks and some of the glasses touch my cheeks too much.

My question is, since the Turbines were too narrow, would Offshoots possibly be a better fit for me? The temple area is where I have the most trouble getting a good fit. The Radarlock Path that actually fit was somewhat snug but comfortable everywhere except the back behind the ears for some reason. If there is a better option I'd like to hear it. I really like the look and quality of Oakley, but I haven't had luck finding a pair locally that will work for me. I want to order a pair, but I need to figure out what is bigger in the temple area than those Turbines.

The Offshoot and Big Taco have a similar large fit. It just depends on whether you want a single shield lens or a dual lens frame.

Alternatively, use the search bar here to search for the word "large", as there are quite a few threads on this topic.

Oh, and yes, the Turbine is smaller than an Offshoot.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll give the Offshoot or Big Taco a try. I just wish the Jade lenses were available in polarized for the Offshoot. I noticed you can customize the Offshoot and get Jade lenses, but they aren't polarized.

If you get the chance then perhaps try them on for size.

As I mentioned, check out a "large" search for thoughts on frames that might suit you.

If a main issue is pressure on your temples, then avoid glasses with straight ear-stems and flat lenses as their fit is more boxy and will press on your temples. So frames like Fuel Cell, Batwolf, Catalyst will not be suitable. Look for glasses in a wrap-around style with a greater curvature to them. For example, Big Taco, Offshoot, Pit Bull, Hijinx, Dispatch 1 and 2, Eyepatch.

A friend of mine suffers the same issues as you. The frame he has always found the most comfortable is the New Zero. Great wide curve to the fit, and super light. My advice is that they will be your best bet.
Zero, New

They are an older frame, but still pop up fairly regularly on Ebay.

Good luck, and welcome to the Forum.

Is the actual name New Zero or is it just Zero? When looking on eBay I found Zero 4.0, EVZero Path, and Zero. I didn't see any called New Zero, but I wanted to be sure on the name since all of those are fairly different.

I found a local place, Sunglass Hut, that had the Offshoot and several others to try. None of them worked very well. The Offshoot touched my cheeks too much and didn't sit right on my face.

I decided to order a pair of Radarlock Path glasses to see if they will work. As I said above, I tried on a two pairs of Radarlock Path but only one of them fit me right for some reason. I would have bought those but I really didn't like the Orange Fingerprint. I'm going to do some more looking on the forum like you suggested. I'm also going to look for information on if I can bend the temple outward or not using heat. That is if the glasses don't fit right but are close. I wouldn't even attempt that if they weren't close to fitting though.

I am wondering now about that EVZero Path. If the Radarlock glasses I get don't work I might see if the EVZero Path would. The Path style of lens definitely works with my face shape better than the other styles. Any idea if the EVZero is any wider than the Radarlock? Is there a Radar style larger than the Radarlock? I'll try looking around for the answer, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Back