• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Turned On To Oakley

OakleyGuru379

Professional Lens Scratcher
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Illinois
Who or what got you turned on to Oakley? For me, it was the Oakley Gascan that caught my eye at a Sunglass Hut

After I got my first job I wanted to buy myself something nice, and I'd met someone with some nice Oakleys not long before that. I went into the store to see what they would cost and what styles they had, put on a pair of FMJ 5.56 XX Twenty w/ Fire Iridium lenses, and fell in love. The fit was perfect, the look was perfect, and I knew I'd take care of them to make them last. Eventually I bought a set of Ice Iridium lenses to swap in, but unfortunately I hit some pretty rough times and had to sell everything in order to feed myself. That was a very tough day to say the least.

Since then I've been a watcher from afar until recently. I bought a pair of Half Jackets a few years back but they never had the same feel or appeal that my XX had, and not long ago I sold them on eBay to buy another set of XX. Now that I've got my favorite frame back, I'm looking to start a small collection. Maybe a couple X-Metals, and some cheaper pairs that I can wear daily at work. I've been thinking about switching from contacts to some Oakley Rx frames too, but that is just going to make me want Rx lenses for all the frames I end up buying!

Growing up and seeing the killer pairs from the 90's. Jackets mostly.

Then when I was in middle/high school my brother and dad got SI pairs from a National Guardsman my dad worked with. I was jealous and a few years later for my birthday I got a pair of XX (O Matter). Loved them.

In college I got myself an M Frame array and it went downhill from there and added another frame and 3-4 lenses to use as a dedicated range set. I didn't get really into collecting more until this year, but I always longingly looked at and tried on more pairs of Oakleys. Then I finally bought some new pairs for my birthday including a Gascan I ended up not liking and I found the forum to try and sell them. Then things REALLY went downhill.

i actually found a 0.7 in the middle of a road (still in its microbag). loved the quality of the lenses and when i needed a performance pair for all the sports i was doing, radar was a no brainer. lost those0.7's though (but ive since bought another). my second purchase (and what kicked off collecting) was the juliets. amazing fit and build quality.

I got my first pair of Oakleys in 2002. A pair of Matte black/ crystal black Splices with grey lenses. Still my favorite frame to this day. Kind of a funny story, I had a friend visiting me from out of town and we were walking through the mall waiting for a movie. I was looking at some Non-Oakley designer glasses and told my friend "can you believe people pay that much for a pair of sunglasses, that is so stupid?" lol. We quickly moved on and eventually ran into a small Oakley stand that was out in the middle of the walkway at the mall's food court. I decided to look just for the heck of it; saw the splice and instantly knew that I had to have them. Wore them for years and they still looked almost perfect saved for the rubber, until I rolled over on them and broke them in half. I still stick by my original comment though, because I wouldn't buy any of those odd-brand, ugly, expensive sunglasses. Oakleys are in their own category. Still looking for a gently used, wearable pair of the matte/crystal black splice. They are hard to come by for being the cheapest pair available at their release.

I got into the poor college student mode for quite a while right after that, so I was never able to buy the juliets or XX that I wanted at the time. Just recently bought a new pair at the beginning of summer 2012 and now I am hooked. Got a perfect set of splice and a nice used pair of Juliets coming in the mail this week and next to add to my 5 modern frames that I bought throughout the last half of 2012.

Shoes.... bought a pair, they were great. Bought another... and another... and another. Then it was the hoodies, shirts, socks, boots, boxers, shorts, board shorts... you get the idea. That was 6-7 years ago. Just bought my first pair of sunnies last Feb.

i actually found a 0.7 in the middle of a road (still in its microbag). loved the quality of the lenses and when i needed a performance pair for all the sports i was doing, radar was a no brainer. lost those0.7's though (but ive since bought another). my second purchase (and what kicked off collecting) was the juliets. amazing fit and build quality.

Maybe they were just a magic pair of Oakleys that pass from owner to owner to show people what real sunglasses are like. You didn't lose them; it was just someone else's turn. lol.

Back