• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Two Face damaged

Just had a thought, if they are chrome plated (which it looks like) there is usually a base layer underneath (copper/nickel?) that is used like a primer to help the chrome take. It is probably this layer that is coming through.

I am sure someone here knows more about the plating method than me who can add to this.

Same thing has happened to mine I emailed Oakley the other day I noticed it last year about 4 or 5 months after purchasing but forgot about it since i had them in my little safe for most of the winter, while I wore my other pair. If they won't replace I would like to know where i could at least just buy the bottom part of the frame. I'm beginning to believe the problems like this are occurring once they moved manufacturing to china. Why couldn't they just leave it an American product.
image2.JPG
image3.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

I'm beginning to believe the problems like this are occurring once they moved manufacturing to china. Why couldn't they just leave it an American product.

I know a lot of us want to believe the old Made in USA Oakley had superior design and QC, but they really didn’t. The stuff you see on your Two Face happened a lot way back when. They still haven’t figured out how to do the FMJ coatings properly even after nearly 20 years, and some of the X-metals took 3 or 4 tries and years of development to get its coatings proper. It's just the way Oakley operates no matter where it's made.

I know a lot of us want to believe the old Made in USA Oakley had superior design and QC, but they really didn’t. The stuff you see on your Two Face happened a lot way back when. They still haven’t figured out how to do the FMJ coatings properly even after nearly 20 years, and some of the X-metals took 3 or 4 tries and years of development to get its coatings proper. It's just the way Oakley operates no matter where it's made.
Yea makes sense, to bad it has to happen tho but on the good side Oakley just responded to my email and told me how to get replacement parts through the manufacturer!

I am finally back from my winter hibernation!

This thread got me thinking. I have seen this happen on other products and one thing that comes to mind is acids and oils on the skin finding their way in a weak spot and causing damage.

F****K :mad:
nice i read this post before i put my hand on this chrome model
I have to pass this ones , dont want to deal with that rust decay :)

two face.jpg

I too had the same issue with my Ferrari two face Oakley that i bought from the Headquarters in Irvine Ca...did anybody get a replacement or answers back from Oakley? if so i would some feed back! i will post picture when i get my other phone!

Latest Posts

Back