• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Unobtanium Lifespan

AF3S3

Oakley Beginner
Delaware
Anyone out there care to guess what the lifespan is for the unobtanium pieces on O matter frames?

I've had a pair of Minute 1.0's that have been through hell over the past 4-5 years and the unobtanium is about worn out. The ear socks are starting to give that hard and brittle feel of cheep rubber so it's about time for them to go.

Would you say 5ish years is about the average for unobtanium pieces that see a lot of action?

I would say depends on the use and person's skin, from personal experience. I have somewhat oily skin but I sweat easily and unobtainium on all my O-matter unobtainium lasted about 3 years. My dad has EXTREMELY oily skin but sweats very little and his only last about a year on his Half-Jacket's.

My hard-use M Frames were used for about 5 years, and then I replaced the ear socks and noticed a huge difference in how well they held my head. The nose piece is still original and is starting to come apart and I'll likely toss it soon since I have a spare.

Thanks for all the reply's.

Generally speaking my harder worn stuff gets a weekly cleaning and my occasional wearers get a monthly cleaning. By cleaning I mean something more than the standard wipe down all pairs get at the end of the day.

As a follow up to the original question does unobtanium deteriorate while in storage. I know lots of rubbers degrade over time regardless of use. If that is the case with unobtanium I suppose stocking extras replacement parts would be a moot point.

Some earsocks sit in Oakley stores for years, I think you would be ok. I keep spares for all my pairs with unobtanium.

hey guys, how do you store your extra unobtanium rubbers? i have extras of my own and i just would like to know how to store them properly so as to make them last a long time for future use. thanks.

I store all pairs, extra lenses and rubbers in a drybox (dehumidifier cabinet) . Our place is humid. I think thats the culprit of deteriorating rubbers.

Thanks, Eks. I'll have a look around and see if I can find one. How about ziploc bags? Yay or nay?