• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Usernames And Profanity

Rustpot - you are clearly very sensitive about the gun thread - that is fine. But please see my post above in the larger picture. I don't really care about the gun thread. I was just really surprised that people owning guns could care about what to me seems like very innocent language. 'Profane' language don't kill people -unless of course you giggle yourself to death.

Jk-27 - good post. Back to talking sunglasses.

No worries man. I read your post as a little more serious than you probably intended, and after rereading mine I can see how you'd come to the same conclusion.

And no one mentioned the thread we had about pretty girls that started getting nudity posted in it?

I also think it speaks to the creator of the name that we really haven't seen any of these 'offensive' users post. I admit I don't read the Frog and Metal sections as closely though.

jk-27;87667d said:
For the love of God, can people stop trying to police things on this forum!

What if policing things is our job in real life :D!

Well....I don't have and issue with guns. Now, could having a thread taking pictures of your sunglasses with your guns be considered glorifying? It could---now, is that thread glorifiing VIOLENCE? No. Its a cliche but guns don't kill people, people kill people and some totally passive pictures are not even in the same neighborhood of glorification...if anything NERF commercials with young men shooting each other with NERF bullets does that more than a picture of a gun and sunglasses laying there. Also, this is not the same as a profane username or profanity in a post in a random thread because the title of the thread warns you of the subject matter if you wish to avoid it whereas if Sh**Happens has a post in a thread about someone's purchases, I have no warning and BOOM there it is as I scroll through. I really get irked when people use illogical thought processes to reinforce their view because all it does is undermine it-and thats what this is. Owning a gun doesn't make you suddenly a swearing sailor, owning a gun doesn't mean you're not sensitive to language. I own multiple guns, I concealed carry them, I shoot them at ranges, I used to shoot them as a child on my parents ranch---and I don't swear, I don't care to read it and I sure as h*** don't want my son to read it. Owning a gun the right way means being responsible, having honor, consideration for those around you when you carry it and understanding the pure weight owning a deadly weapon. My take? in the Sunglasses sections...it is about sunglasses, period. All other topics (including guns and sunglasses) in the Off Topic. And no profanity...period, not in user names, not in posts. Use the ****ing astrix...you'll get your point across without possibly exposing any reader who doesn't already know what it is to the word.

i-love-this-thread-so-much.jpg

And no profanity...period, not in user names, not in posts. Use the ****ing astrix...you'll get your point across without possibly exposing any reader who doesn't already know what it is to the word.

Sorry, but you can't go around telling other people what to do, just as you don't want people telling you what to do. If somebody wants to swear, let them swear, that's their choice and they should be free to express themselves however they see fit. If you don't like that then I understand that,but it's not for anyone to live their life based on your needs. If you don't want your son to see it then it is your job as a parent to police material available to your son as best as you can. It's not our responsibility what your son does and doesn't see.

We are free to live life as we see fit based on our point of view which is why this thread is very redundant. The board is fine exactly as is.

Well....I don't have and issue with guns. Now, could having a thread taking pictures of your sunglasses with your guns be considered glorifying? It could---now, is that thread glorifiing VIOLENCE? No. Its a cliche but guns don't kill people, people kill people and some totally passive pictures are not even in the same neighborhood of glorification...if anything NERF commercials with young men shooting each other with NERF bullets does that more than a picture of a gun and sunglasses laying there. Also, this is not the same as a profane username or profanity in a post in a random thread because the title of the thread warns you of the subject matter if you wish to avoid it whereas if Sh**Happens has a post in a thread about someone's purchases, I have no warning and BOOM there it is as I scroll through. I really get irked when people use illogical thought processes to reinforce their view because all it does is undermine it-and thats what this is. Owning a gun doesn't make you suddenly a swearing sailor, owning a gun doesn't mean you're not sensitive to language. I own multiple guns, I concealed carry them, I shoot them at ranges, I used to shoot them as a child on my parents ranch---and I don't swear, I don't care to read it and I sure as h*** don't want my son to read it. Owning a gun the right way means being responsible, having honor, consideration for those around you when you carry it and understanding the pure weight owning a deadly weapon. My take? in the Sunglasses sections...it is about sunglasses, period. All other topics (including guns and sunglasses) in the Off Topic. And no profanity...period, not in user names, not in posts. Use the ****ing astrix...you'll get your point across without possibly exposing any reader who doesn't already know what it is to the word.

people kill people... couldnt said it better

Sorry, but you can't go around telling other people what to do, just as you don't want people telling you what to do. If somebody wants to swear, let them swear, that's their choice and they should be free to express themselves however they see fit. If you don't like that then I understand that,but it's not for anyone to live their life based on your needs. If you don't want your son to see it then it is your job as a parent to police material available to your son as best as you can. It's not our responsibility what your son does and doesn't see.

We are free to live life as we see fit based on our point of view which is why this thread is very redundant. The board is fine exactly as is.

I'm not telling others what to do-its a suggestion and its a suggestion to those who own this forum-again, a forum is not subject to freedom of speech, its subject to the rules instituted by the owners of the forum whatever those may be. "Do what ever the hell I want that's my right-burden is on YOU to deal with my behavior"-THIS is why civility is dead in the 21st century and why the bullies end up running the playground. Its my job to police material? Yes. And its the job of the VILLAGE to do so as well. You're treading on me by swearing just as much as I'm treadin on you by asking you not to. This issue (and similar ones dealing with common sense and common decency and respect for others ) has driven me out of other forums, too bad it might drive me out of this one as well.

I don't see how my guns and glasses thread can be anywhere related to bad language. A picture of a gun by itself isn't and shouldn't be offensive to anybody. Just because the mindset of guns is different in your location doesn't mean you should be offended by a picture of one. Would you be offended if there was a soldier in those pictures?

Collecting and shooting guns is a hobby just like anything else and isn't any different than the music, cars, and food threads we have on here. It's something many members on here have an interest in.

Back