• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

USPS sucks

5 of 8 packages shipped last Monday haven't shown any movement since last Wesnesday. Never seen that with so many packages at the same time. I think something is going on. The other 3, the most expensive ones, were delivered between Thursday and Friday

View attachment 774547
Talking yesterday with one of my local mailman, he mentioned the “new management” put in a new, 30 minute mandatory meeting before the start of each shift.
Also put in a 30 minute mandatory at the end of each shift, and flat no overtime.
End result is lots of packages not being moved/delivered, and no approval to stay late and work them.

He was somewhat flabbergasted saying, “they just sit there. All these packages, they just sit there. Who do I complain to, when the new management doesn’t care if they even get delivered or not?.”

Hard to hear him really, he takes pride in his job, and you could tell it didn’t make sense to him.

I'll take my father's word over yours...he at least worked at the post office for 30+ years.

Unless someone else who works for the post office has more recent data. (He did retire 7 years ago, so maybe something changed since then)
At best that's anecdotal. He most likely has no proof to back up his absurd claim. Government employees are the problem and USPS is proof of that. Let's see what would happen to a FedEx or UPS manager who had the same performance USPS has. Privatize USPS and let them either fail or profit. If a non government company acted like USPS did they would be bankrupt before the year was over.

Last edited:
Part of the problem is other delivery services using USPS for the last mile.
This is nothing new and hardly a strain on USPS as they're most likely going to that address anyway. One of UPS' offerings will actually not hand the package over to USPS if they're already delivering to your address that day.

Talking yesterday with one of my local mailman, he mentioned the “new management” put in a new, 30 minute mandatory meeting before the start of each shift.
Also put in a 30 minute mandatory at the end of each shift, and flat no overtime.
End result is lots of packages not being moved/delivered, and no approval to stay late and work them.
This is laughable. When I'm going through a competitor's ramp after a flight they have the same pre and post work meetings and don't seem to have the problem that USPS has. It's a USPS problem for sure as there's USPS products on the aircraft that make it to them in the alloted time. How are companies able to do what the government isn't?
He was somewhat flabbergasted saying, “they just sit there. All these packages, they just sit there. Who do I complain to, when the new management doesn’t care if they even get delivered or not?.”

Hard to hear him really, he takes pride in his job, and you could tell it didn’t make sense to him.
Again it's not a problem FedEx Express or UPS seems to have but it's a consistent problem with USPS. From my intraction with government civians in my Reserve unit it actually seems to be consistent throughout the government with their civilians.

At best that's anecdotal
Maybe. But, I'll take it over some of the news sources being used today. It just seems like all news has an agenda - either pro Trump or anti-Trump.
The fact is, a new PMG is in place and he may have new policies. (Lower overtime, new sorting methods, etc...) Are they specifically trying to slow the mail down? That would surprise me, as I would think the people doing the job would know. But, I guess weirder things have happened...
Now, the fact that USPS no longer offers a career to people with benefits and retirement make me believe they have been on a steady downward spiral since the invention of email - They have workers who just don't care and are not at the same level of skill as those that had to take the civil service test. (It's not an easy test)

Oh, and in my experience, FedEx is the worst. I swear they purposely damage their packages...and UPS is expensive unless shipping to a business.

This is laughable. When I'm going through a competitor's ramp after a flight they have the same pre and post work meetings and don't seem to have the problem that USPS has. It's a USPS problem for sure as there's USPS products on the aircraft that make it to them in the alloted time. How are companies able to do what the government isn't?

Again it's not a problem FedEx Express or UPS seems to have but it's a consistent problem with USPS. From my intraction with government civians in my Reserve unit it actually seems to be consistent throughout the government with their civilians.
“That is laughable”??

I guess your viewpoint is the only correct one...

I'll admit one thing on USPS behalf. As slow as things have been lately, at least they haven't completely lost one of my packages this year, and it's been more than one year since they last lost mail of mine (in or out-bound). A couple packages were more than a month late. But on both occasions, the buyers were happy their glasses arrived, and repaid the money I was forced to refund. Lucky me. So that is roughly 1 out of about 1000 transactions lost. Not bad.
I’ve had a few lost now but the oddest thing is when they get lost or long delays coincided with the same ship dates...it’s like they lose the entire truck wtf. 🤣 they probably don’t like me sending 60 pound packages in the flat rate boxes 📦

I have seen improvement over the last month compared to the prior months. Still some multi week delays but most packages are getting there in 2-3 days now.

On Monday I dropped off 5 packages at the post office, 2 (with Turbine frames), went in the USPS box, and 3 were scanned (the ones containing expensive items that were insured). It's been 3 days, and the Turbine packages haven't been scanned at all at any point. Lesson to self, get EVERYTHING scanned, or else

View attachment 773088
I don’t care how long the line is...I’m scanning everything

This is the worse I've seen. 5 of 8 packages showed no movement for 6 or more days. But as long as they show up at some point, I'll try to be a bit patient, although I don't like having buyers bugging me for USPS's BS
Most I have dealt with have been pretty cool. One of my own purchases finally was delayed for 2 weeks plus which was driving me nuts because it was a the smallville series I was anxious to binge on. It took every effort to be patient Trying not to be that buyer 🤣

Back