• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
I like the concept of this thread, but I definitely see some pitfalls in it as well...

Who can assess what value really is? The OPEN MARKET over time does this... for instance the MAMBO value assessment of the few who contributed above was $225 avg... The TRUE MARKET VALUE over 3 months and six sales is $279 avg... I know we all look for deals and scores but we are giving false information by saying the prices we are willing to pay and not doing homework as to true value...

An item is worth what you are willing to pay for it, we have discussed this many times!!! But I guarantee that I am willing to pay more for an item that I want than most others here, so should I throw out what I would pay for a Mambo? I do my homework guys, I spend many hours researching a multitude of items and finding values. If you want to take a shortcut and ask others what value is, you may lose out on something you really wanted because others told you it wasn’t worth what the seller is asking then a guy like me comes along does a little homework and buys it at that price with built in equity.

This is just one issue I have mentioned, I can think of a few more but I have become bored with writing...lol...

Not trying to bring the thread down, just sort of saying take the answers for what they are worth (just like my opinion) but still do your homework!!!

I like the concept of this thread, but I definitely see some pitfalls in it as well...

Who can assess what value really is? The OPEN MARKET over time does this... for instance the MAMBO value assessment of the few who contributed above was $225 avg... The TRUE MARKET VALUE over 3 months and six sales is $279 avg... I know we all look for deals and scores but we are giving false information by saying the prices we are willing to pay and not doing homework as to true value...

An item is worth what you are willing to pay for it, we have discussed this many times!!! But I guarantee that I am willing to pay more for an item that I want than most others here, so should I throw out what I would pay for a Mambo? I do my homework guys, I spend many hours researching a multitude of items and finding values. If you want to take a shortcut and ask others what value is, you may lose out on something you really wanted because others told you it wasn’t worth what the seller is asking then a guy like me comes along does a little homework and buys it at that price with built in equity.

This is just one issue I have mentioned, I can think of a few more but I have become bored with writing...lol...

Not trying to bring the thread down, just sort of saying take the answers for what they are worth (just like my opinion) but still do your homework!!!

I think its more asking what the general consensus is for a price more than a set in stone value. Its also handy to have some idea what to ask when you go to sell. This is just a place to collect all your notes if you will.

I think its more asking what the general consensus is for a price more than a set in stone value. Its also handy to have some idea what to ask when you go to sell. This is just a place to collect all your notes if you will.

Exactly... Point #2...
He would have been selling for $54 less than market value had he adveraged the above assessments...

Exactly... Point #2...
He would have been selling for $54 less than market value had he adveraged the above assessments...

I thought he was asking as a buyer rather then a seller. I think if we were to look at the Mambo's that have sold on the Forum over time, the average would certainly be lower then the EBay average of completed listings over the past several months.

Exactly what I was saying in my first post!!!

"I know we all look for deals and scores but we are giving false information by saying the prices we are willing to pay and not doing homework as to true value..."

I agree that the value of something is what you are willing to pay for something and what you are willing to sell it for. My Mambo I bought via EBay in October of 2011 for $91.00, It was LNIB. I then sold it for $200.00 in October of 2012 to a forum member who almost immediately put it on EBay and sold it for $265.00.

Does EBay set True Value (as that is really the only site that tracks completed listings)? How would transactions that occured via CL or other classified sites factor into True Value?

lol all the pricecheck threads always revert to the same "the price is whatever youre willing to pay for it" arguement.

cant we just have a place where a ballpark is a ballpark, take from it what you will, and leave it at that?
basically just to reassure yourself that the deal you're making is reasonable. indont see whats wrong with that. its aleays good to have a feel of the market and see what a particular item has been sold/bought for by others if youre on the hunt.

Back