• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Valve 1.0 clear surprise

Lopaka KaMars

Oakley Non-Expert 🏄 😎🤙
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Kaneohe Hawaii
So I was wanting to repaint the part that goes between the ear stem and eye sockets of my Valve 1.0. One of my first Valve projects was painting green pieces. Those didn't come out so hot the first time. So I was wanting to try again, along with a couple of other frames. To speed up the paint removal process I used acetone.. No issues till the last one. As I was taking off the aluminum looking coating, I realized the piece is clear. Except for where the icon goes. That part stayed like its an icon of its own.. The finish is smoky because I used sandpaper to take off the parts that didn't come off so easily. I'm thinking I can fine sand it and that should clear it up some. All pieces didn't do this though. Of the three pieces I used, only one turned out clear under the aluminum/ metallic area of the Valve. Probably because pieces were manufactured at different times?

IMG_1686.jpeg
IMG_3755.jpeg
IMG_3758.jpeg
IMG_3765.jpeg
IMG_3771.jpeg
IMG_3772.jpeg
IMG_3779.jpeg

Robert get a variety pack of wet sanding paper and go through the different grits until the deep scratches are out. Use some good car polish on them after that and they'll look like glass.
Mahalo sir. Already have the sand paper, just need the time. Perhaps when I get home today. I may even try dipping some other parts in acetone to see what happens. :cool-33:🤙

Latest Posts

Back