• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Variations in Juliet frame size? Is it a real thing?

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
I sold a pair of custom cut OEM IH lenses from (a frame I bought) to a fellow Oakley Forum member, but when he installed them into his own Juliet pair, they didn't fit (see pics below). There's a massive gap between lens and frame.

Is interframe variation a known issue?! I've never encountered the problem before, although I had a little difficulty trying to get a custom cut lens into a Romeo 1.
IMG_7200.JPG
IMG_7199.JPG
IMG_7198.JPG

Definitely real for me although I've never seen that kinda gap. I have a frame that certain lenses will be loose in them, but show no gap like that.

I'm glad I saw this thread. I was under the assumption that there was no deviation in the frames from gen to gen. This is going to put a damper on a custom project I've been thinking of :(

I'm glad I saw this thread. I was under the assumption that there was no deviation in the frames from gen to gen. This is going to put a damper on a custom project I've been thinking of :(
Is because of the casting process changing over the years.

Pull apart a J serial frame and an IH. The orbital tabs that go inside the nose bridge on the J serial will be squared. The IH ones will be almost rounded. That's why the IH is always going to have more flex. You can get a J serial or other older ones rock solid but not that IH.

All this **** is what makes each X Metal unique. I love it.

Yup, I've had the issue as well. A J serial frame I had was too big for all my lenses, it didn't matter if they were oem or custom cuts, they always seemed to have some sort of movement even with the orbital being super tight. I also had a carbon frame which came with a little plastic piece (the famous shimming device) straight from an O store but just for the left orbital (right fitted perfectly). It seems they never really had a standard size when creating this awseome frame

Real thing. I've frequently seen 1st Gen frames with low serials run consistently small.
Xmetal Romeo's sometimes are different from the left to right orbital even.
I don't have too many problems with this as I try to cut as close to later on generations as possible. I hate them too small. You can fix a lens that's too tight, but if it's too small what do you do?

Last edited:
I've got one frame where you can pop oem lens in and out of the left orbital without taking the orbital screw out. You have to press a little but it'll come out. Did the same thing had to shim the lens a little so it doesn't rattle all the time.