• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Vault Staff

Class act, Todd!

riker.gif

It depends on the Store, there are two Vaults here and one is amazing and the other is like a Home Depot when you need someone they are never there and when you find them they know nothing.

Sawgrass FL Vault had quite a few good items. It is one of three vaults I have been in but only the one this year. The employees seemed extremely interested in greeting and showing or getting you what you want. The second you picked a clothing item or a pair of glasses they immediately ran off to put it behind the counter and beelined it to another customer. It appears this is a way to handle security and attempt to prevent someone from stealing an item. Out of the three pairs of glasses, two clothing items, and a pair of lenses, I held them for no more than 30 seconds each. It was terribly busy in the store and it wasn't till I left that I realized that the XLJ Fire lenses I got were for Flak Jackets not the Half Jackets that I asked for. Also a pair of Whiskers that I got off the discount shelf, I was charged 20 more than the sticker that was on the set on the shelf. I am out of state so it was impossible for a return to get money back. Overall I just felt that the only reason the employees helped customers was to make sure items were not stolen. When you make purchases, especially ones for hundreds of dollars (Infinite Juiets) it would be nice to keep them in your hands till payed for. My biggest concern was someone damaging the box when it was on the shelf. ( Collection piece)

Sawgrass is one of the largest volume Oaklely stores in the country, I'm sure they would love to stop and chat with a customer for a whole, but the job just doesn't allow for it. As for not letting customers hold on to glasses, that's just company policy for every Oakley store. There is just way to much risk in having a customer hold those glasses until purchase. I'm sure if you called Oakley customer service you could do something about those lenses too.

Up at the MotoGP race at Laguna Seca last month I walked into the Oakley booth/tent (had about 5 cases worth of glasses in there) wearing Polished Black/Ruby "White Hot" Frogskins. I walked around and stared at the cases mostly, looked at the Acid Torts and Radarlocks for a moment or two, and just as I was about to walk out one of the employee's tapped me on the shoulder and pulled out one of the Acid Torts and said "Wait a minute, look at these, the Acid Tortoise Frogskins. And we have a whole line of them (as he pointed to the case). I kind of smirked and said "O those are nice," and walked away, knowing I could have just talked to that guy for an hour with Frogskins history alone he wouldn't know. But then I thought about it, and with where we were at (the infield of a racetrack), watching motorsports, I can't expect this guy to know that much about a single model which really wouldn't benefit him all that much in this setting, nor can I expect him to know I'm a collector. I don't mind Oakley retail employees not knowing the in's and out's of the company like we do, that is what corporate is for. Retail's job is to sell the product to the mass markets that might need some convincing. They don't need to sell it to us collectors now, as they already did some time ago, and we've stuck with it ever since. As long as they aren't inconsiderate or rude, or just hate going to work everyday like some McDonald's employee, they aren't doing anything wrong.

I started with Oakley at an O-Store, however this past summer I've been working for a vault. And I absolutely love it. Except, the kids that they hired aren't to brightest crayons in the box, still a great group of new employees. However, I found myself extremely frustrated telling them and explaining to them on how things work at Oakley. Such as work involved (NOT JUST SELLING GLASSES) but retail part of the job like folding and putting things back where they got them from.

Now, I know there's been a lot of bad talk about vault employees and I could see it happening, but vault employees have a lot more to do than just give the "Oakley Experience" like O-store employees do. I'd say vault employees don't get enough time to get research done and everything. For example, all my managers at my vault seemed like they knew so much I loved asking them questions about products, but when I talked to them about the C-Six - they didn't know much because they said "We weren't really trained on that, that's an O-Store product" so there's definitely some things that vault employees will not know because they are specifically not taught what it is/all the specs about it.

The vault store is a lot more just getting people in and out, but if they have questions answer them to the best of our knowledge. I still learn new things about Oakley every day. The problem with the group of kids at this vault is that they gave out false information and when I went to correct them they wouldn't have it. Talk about frustrating.

I'll end it on this winner - We had a return one day. But it wasn't a return, one of those new guys sold a Radarlock the day before and when he sent the guy off with a jawbone in the box. The guy came back and said that he just wanted to get it switched.

That's what you're dealing with at Some vaults!

Neal, the two times I have been in the Sawgrass Vault it was very busy. I could easily see that it would be one of the busiest. Makes Sense. There is nothing really negative about the experience, however it did make me feel what I wrote. Never really felt that way making a purchase somewhere. I do realize that there are a lot of people who steal and come to places like that just to walk out with items. It is a good system they have, for it takes care of good customers, answers quick questions, move people through quickly. I will say and you reminded me the manager took really good care of me for an item. I had purchased last year a set of Half Jacket Titanium lenses that shipped without one of the ends that fits in the nosepiece to hold them on. I thought I was stuck for I deployed to AFG for the year. This Vault swapped them out for me before any items that I purchased. I definitely would and probably will end up back in there sometime in the future, however did want to say how it made me feel. I am thoroughly happy there is a store like that.

The rolling vault isn't much better. Maybe the pretty boy had to much on his mind, but he couldn't even tell me which pair he had on his head. (C100 Jupiter )

Back