• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Sold Very Nice Red Mars Crater w/ Ruby lenses-Make an offer!

• Thread starter Username Hidden
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Username Hidden said:
Ok, so the 04-109 is a Crater with red socks, but Black iridium lenses. Is there any way to recognize that one or the factory Ice Crater from the regular Craters based on serial, or any other way?
That's the problem as far as I have been told there's nothing different!!
I have heard like the eneraem Mars all have serial numbers that are sineehso close but no real proof !! At least mine is pretty close to another members!! But I have no idea about any serial number break .

Some people reacted to this post.
Username Hidden said:
I find it interesting to. I do not understand why XS value has dropped so much.

Rarity is the key in every market and the main reason why I started collecting back in 2000s. I’m an OEM guy!! There were no custom frames and a scratch on a frame would bring the value down. Now market is flooded with custom frames for almost the same price as OEM bringing the value down IMO

Username Hidden said:
Agree that the OP is a great guy to deal with, and also, if anyone doesn't like the price, move along, or if he/she has questions about pricing, take it to PM.

Question to OP or other Mars experts, which different OEM versions of Crater did Oakley release? I knew about Ice with blue rubbers, and regular BI with black. Is Ruby with red another OEM version? Is there any way to recognize the versions by the serial?. Never seen an OEM Crater/ruby before; great combo

The ONLY factory/production pair of the Crater frame is X Metal Crater - Black 04-105. Ice was never assembled within a frame and produced that way with a sku and a labelled box, this was an accessory lens only with sku/part code 30-453 which could replace any lens in any Mars, it just so happens most prefer this in a Crater frame which has had the Black lenses swapped, and the black rubbers replaced with blue to create a custom set. The impression some have is that Crater - Ice was an official pair but this is not the case. There was no official release Crater - Ruby, the genuine factory pair is X Metal - Ruby 04-107. The pair offered here in this thread is a custom pair, originally 04-105 with changed lenses and rubbers. Serial numbers were as follows:
M###### X Metal - Black 04-103
M*###### X Metal Leather - Gold 04-104
C###### X Metal Crater - Black 04-105
M###### X Metal - Emerald 04-106
M###### X Metal - Ruby 04-107

Username Hidden said:
As far as I know they didn't make a Ruby crater from the factory but it could be a
04-109 that someone added Ruby lenses to!! That would make it extremely rare!!
Unfortunately without history there is no way of telling for sure!!
GLWS that's an extremely beautiful pair sir !!

To my knowledge, both X Metal - Black (red socks) 04-108, and X Metal Crater - Black (red socks) 04-109 were never produced, the only way to confirm their existence would be from a labelled box that shows the detail with sku, or if the arm serials were somehow unique to those pieces. It would be easy to just change the black rubbers to red on regular 04-103 and 04-105 and say they were 08 and 09. I think these, like copious other glasses, were set up with a part code but then never manufactured.

Really nice pair bro. GLWS

Username Hidden said:
Thank you very much for the detailed info. So people with a regular Mars could just swap lenses to emeralds and claim it's an 04-106? Or are the numbers on the serials within a certain range for the emeralds and ruby?

Yes, it would be possible to put an accessory Emerald Lens into a 04-103, or a 04-107 (and swap the red rubbers to black) to give the impression of a SGH exclusive. The arm serials are the same for 103, 106, and 107 (ie M######) so it would not be possible from that to determine the genuine sku. However, the ONLY way to confirm 04-106 is the GENUINE piece is with a labelled box, regardless of whether the serial number matches between arm and label. The serial numbers themselves appear to be random, and from this information it seems impossible to pin down the sku assuming there is no box.

bump

Username Hidden said:
thank You for the tag, very beautiful indeed but out of my range. Honestly id be happy with just a Mars. Bump!

bump

Status
Not open for further replies.