• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Vintage Frogskins; Have You Ever Seen ‘em?

Thanks for the pics.

I've seen that frame before, but not with clear lenses. The box is clearly old but it's not the box for the frame combo you have. I've seen an original pair of these (i.e., with grey lenses and original matching box) go for around $200 but I think what you have is separate vintage pieces put together so that would devalue it a little I think. I also think the clear lenses may have replaced the original grey lenses.

Yeah, the color of the frame is called "Crystal Clear" and that has been made with Violet Iridium and Grey lenses. I actually don't know about any clear lenses made for the vintage frogs... So it might even be possible that they aren't original O lenses...

These were purchased from a Sunglass Hut as you see them. Do you think a Sunglass Hut back in the mid 90's had the capability of swapping the lenses to clear ones? Is there any way to know if the lenses were swapped out, or not swapped out for that matter? Could this be a factory error resulting in a pair of Frogskins that never should have been sold? What steps should I be taking in preparing to sell these shades for the appropriate price.

pretty sure a lens swap was done on these. although i'm not too sure if clear lenses were available in the mid 90s. but i'm positive this isn't a stock colourway.

Apologies for the previous erroneous post...

Having been the original owner for the past 17 or so years I can assure you these are factory lenses. I'm fairly new to Frogskin history but forum members so far have concluded that the clear lens was not offered in this generation of Frogskins. At this point I'm still at a loss as far as what I really have here. Besides my word, what can I do to prove the authenticity of these rather strange Frogskins?

I don't think you have anything unique in terms of a rare Oakley item. I think you have a frame and lens combination never know to have been released and a box that is for a completely different colour combo. For collectors that's not good, nothing matches or is original as sold by Oakley at the time. Sorry.

If you're going to sell them then ultimately what you have to do is set a price you're willing to accept and go from there. See if people are or aren't interested.

standard grey is possibly referring to the frame.. as for the clear lenses, I've seen some online before, so... I dunno.

Back