• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Vintage Section Poll!

What should the criteria be for a Vintage Section?

• Pre-1999

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Pre-2003

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Discontinued 5 years

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • No Vintage Section

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters
I still don't see the need. Since the poll has gone up there have been... a few topics about some older pairs. Mostly asking about sourcing lenses and value on older sets. Those threads get a few posts and fall back into the forum. Someone needs info on those, they can search and easily find that information, or more likely make a new topic and get an answer.

As soon as you splinter off a sub-set of wires and o-matter the information is no longer as easily found. You're creating a ton of work for the Boss to go through 70 pages of topics to try and find the handful relating to an arbitrary cutoff point and move them to a new section.

Vintage would have info on Zeros, right? So a member shows up in the vintage section looking for info on his pair of Zeros. Turns out his were made after 2003 and the topic gets moved. Someone else sees the post in the generic sunglasses section about those Zeros and asks questions about older Zeros. Uh oh, now we have questions and answers about vintage pairs in a non-vintage-section topic. Anyone looking for info on pre-2003 Zeros will now either not find that information, or have to try harder.

Very true. And OakleyBoss made the right decision.
Not really comparing like with like there though, in terms of workload! :smile:

Agreed, it would be a different workload. I was simply comparing participation in each poll. The "Vintage" poll had nearly 30% more participation then the "Slogan" poll.

I hear what you are saying about the two polls, Del. And I remain quite surprised about the low voting turnout again for this new poll.
As I have mentioned above, I'm not desperately bothered about it, but lean towards the 'no vintage section' side of the debate. I find the debate interesting but really, regardless either way, it's the OBoss' decision as ultimately it will be him doing the set-up work and also the Mods then continually working to moderate it all. To be honest I can't blame him for feeling that such a low voting response does not warrant setting up a whole new section.

To put it another way, I'm sure someone could drum up 30-odd positive voters for an 'O-Matter Section', for example, but the question would still remain 'Is it necessary at the moment?'. Probably not. But then as the Forum grows it may be good to revisit all of these ideas to stop the current sections getting out of hand. After all, this is not the fastest-moving forum at the moment - but it is still early days - it's growing.

I dont know I guess I thought that because it is an actual Oakley oriented forum that has interest unlike the "Misc./Everything Else Exchange" that had little interest and very little traffic that this had a chance to be an asset to the forum. Would cut down the work involved to rename the Misc./Everything Else Exchange to the Vintage Collection Section...

PLEASE DONT THINK I AM BEING PUSHY ON THIS AT ALL, I JUST SEE A NEED AND A CHANCE TO FILL IT WHILE REMOVING SOMETHING THAT I PERSONALLY THINK WE NEVER NEEDED AND SEEMS TO HAVE VERY LITTLE INTEREST...