• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Violet Iridium Lens Differences

morafa4

Oakley Beginner
I've heard a lot of discussion about the inconsistencies or evolution of iridium lenses through the years - but not so much about violet. I was wondering if anyone could speak of the differences of early violet and current violet lenses.

Were the early violets more of a homogeneous violet or a stronger gradient from purple to blue?

I know this is nitpicky discussion, but this is the OF after all - amirite? K. Readysetgo.

It could be considered that Violet Iridium has been in production in two time periods, first with the Frogskins (gen 1 & 2) from the late 1980's to early 1990's, then a long time period elapsed with the lens no longer available. The resurgence was in 2006 with the Riddle - Polished Black - Violet 05-909 followed by the Frogskins (gen 3) in 2007 and various glasses have been manufactured with this lens up to the present. Since 2006 Violet has seen two documented transmission, one of 14%, the other 17%, and whilst I have many examples of the lens from the second time period I can think of little in the way of difference in colouration between them (although I have not physically compared them all), however, the Greg Lutzka Frogskin does stand out as noticeably different in that it is much more pale, more of a Turquoise colour, other than that pair, I think this beautiful lens has remained much the same.

Color seems to be pretty consistent on Violet. I occasionally see a pair with a bit more blue/teal, but that's probably just due to slight batch variations. I'm just speaking to the 2006+ versions.

Haha that has to be the most articulate, knowledgeable response ever - thanks for taking the time for that! Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out the lens situation on these violet iridiums. Both came off of Gen 1 Frogskins. I took pictures to illustrate the clear difference between the two. The one in the clear frames are homogenously violet with what feels like a very superficial coating and 'top layer' of violet. While the lenses that are not in frames have a violet with a little more depth AND shows an intense gradient to blue (pic 2).

I took the second pair of lenses out because they seem to be static loving - attracting any piece of dust or whatever in the air, no matter how many times its cleaned w/ a microfiber cloth. I was wondering if anyone had an issue w/ an Oakley lens like that.

What do you guys think?

5lxc1z.jpg

wr0u42.jpg

I guess I should add that when looking through the lens, the top pair have a more green tint (and transfer less light), while the bottom loose pair of lenses look more like a classic grey lens when viewing with a slight greenish tint (transfers more light).

Basically I'm trying to figure out if the most old school examples of Violet Iridium are essentially pure violet at virtually all angles, and then they became the violet to teal//blue/ice people see today.

Latest Posts

Back