• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Violet iridium lenses - quality?

1alembic

Oakley Expert
Florida
Hi all,
I am curious to hear others' opinions and/or examples. I have multiple (maybe 15-20) pairs of Oakleys. Different frames and lens colors (but none that are polarized). I've had a lot for many years too and wear them all somewhat equally. Meaning that I transition between pairs on a regular basis. None are for display only. So with that being said I have found that a few pairs that I have with Violet lenses seem to start to delaminate around the edges at the frame. (I'll add a few pics) has anyone else noticed this? Is it common? The reason I ask is I don't want to buy more if it is only going to happen over and over again. I feel like I got so much less used out of the violet lenses than any others. And I do have some I run in regularly but I always rinse them off after running and have never has a delaminating issue.

It was difficult to get a picture of the delamination on the XS frame because it is not as bad. I'm also aware that you might rsay both of these frames are very old but the lenses in the XS are less than a year old newly cut lenses. And the original cut was perfect (meaning no delamination on the edge when I received them). I also have other XS frames with cut lenses that have had no issue.

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

20200507_210154.jpg

20200507_210225.jpg

20200507_210308.jpg

20200507_210628.jpg

Good to know. Thanks. I just seem to have found the issue on my violet lenses. Must be coincidence. Thank you for the comment.

Good to know. Thanks. I just seem to have found the issue on my violet lenses. Must be coincidence. Thank you for the comment.

Worst part is it will eventually spread to the entire lens. I have a few pairs that I bought used many years ago, never worn (by me) and those delaminated just sitting in my case.

I find That once delam starts, if you get the lenses wet or there is a lot of moisture, it makes the delam worse.

Good to know. I was assuming I would need to replace them at some point. I t is helpful to understand that it is not just a violet issue and that if I can find more violet lenses then I might have better luck.

Back