• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

VR28 BIP Alternative - Tungsten or Titanium?

testcodes

Oakley Beginner
Of the 10+ frames I have, I only have 2 contrast lenses, the rest are neutral lenses. The contrast lenses I have are the Daily Prizm and the Trail Prizim. I really like the Daily Prizm for daily wear, but don't work too well for very bright light so I have to switch to a BIP.

I've been looking for a contrast lens that could handle the same amount of light as BIP, and through research I've read that the VR28 BIP seems to be the most well regarded contrast lens in these forums. My wife also has a pair of VR28 BI, which I've tried a couple of times and I like them very much.

Problem is, the frames I usually wear (Chainlink, Two Face, Jupiter Squared) do not have VR28 BIP. Any other good contrast lenses that is very similar to VR28 BIP? I've read that both Tungsten and Titanium also have brownish tints, and I know both of them can fit in either a Two Face or a Jupiter Squared.

So comparing Tungsten against Titanium, which one is more similar to VR28 BIP? How about Bronze Polarized, where does this one fit in the spectrum? Or any other tints I should look into?

Thanks

tl;dr
- I like VR28 BIP but they don't come in the frames I want
- Looking for an alternative, seems Titanium and Tungsten are two popular choices

Consider OOBIP. Contract lens, but with a rose hue instead of brown. I love it, plus it's as dark as regular BIP.

OOBIP, my wife has one and I've tried it a couple of times as well. I believe (from my noob-ish opinion) the Daily Prizms also have a rosy base, although lighter contrast than the OOBIP. So for variety I was aiming to get a brown tinted one rather than another rose tint.

Also, it may just be the contrast, but I feel like the OOBIP makes the view more brighter. On a bright day, switching back and forth between my wife's VR28 BI, OOBIP, and my Ruby Iridium, I felt like I had to squint a bit more for the OOBIP.

Although I do agree that the OOBIP is pleasant to look through, definitely less boring than the gray BIP

VR28 is a very unique tint. Especially in how it brings out warm colors.

Titanium and Tungsten are great lenses, but not similar to VR28 except in being "contrast".

Tungsten is worth having if you don't already, though.

thanks for the heads up I thought they would be similar. I'm still kinda new to this game so I might be missing some finer details and I always perceived the VR28 BIP as a brown tint lens, which I've read (although have not tried personally) both titanium and tungsten has. So I'm guessing VR28 is more of a brown+something combination that's making it different than titanium/tungsten?

I don't have a Tungsten as well, but it's on my list to get after VR28 (or whatever equivalent alternative). Or if I don't find something that's close to VR28, Tungsten I think would be my next to get :D

I was going to recommend Gold Iridium Polarized, but they aren't available in any of the frames you mentioned--at least not that I can find. Looking at the Oakley website, they aren't too common. I have them for a pair of old half jackets and a pair of Flaks, and I love them. Then, I was about to suggest Fire Iridium Polarized (which aren't for everyone--they're a bit flashy for some), but I can't find those for your frames either. So, this is another vote for VR28.

OOBiP though a great lens to look through, and a favourite of mine, is meh to look at.
I gotta agree with Rustpot; Tungsten (15%) a very soothing alternative view, followed by Titanium (10%-12%).

I was going to recommend Gold Iridium Polarized, but they aren't available in any of the frames you mentioned--at least not that I can find. Looking at the Oakley website, they aren't too common. I have them for a pair of old half jackets and a pair of Flaks, and I love them. Then, I was about to suggest Fire Iridium Polarized (which aren't for everyone--they're a bit flashy for some), but I can't find those for your frames either. So, this is another vote for VR28.

Gold, interesting I'll read more about that thanks.

As for Fire, Chainlink has it, and I believe Two Face as well (thinking of the Lin Dan Two Face). I've tried it once a long time back but I haven't thought about it again. I've read somewhere that fire iridium causes double vision and headaches for a lot of people so I've been ignoring it. I'll maybe give one a try again when I drive by the store. Thanks for the suggestions

OOBiP though a great lens to look through, and a favourite of mine, is meh to look at.
I gotta agree with Rustpot; Tungsten (15%) a very soothing alternative view, followed by Titanium (10%-12%).

Awesome more votes for Tungsten. Now you guys are really making me buy one :D

Titanium has greater cosmetic value IMO. It has a unique look from the outside, kind of similar to BIP but richer. It also comes with "titanium" etching.
It is more radical to look through. The setting sun looks awesome.

I suppose tungsten is more practical.

Tungsten on the left, VR28BIP on the right

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439243768.869772.jpg

Latest Posts

Back