• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

VR28 Black Iridium Polarized Alternative

CloudStrife

Oakley Beginner
I am looking for something comparable to the VR28 BIP lenses. I currently have them in my prescription Gascans. I just switched to contacts so I'm looking for new glasses. I am a big fan of the brighter contrast these lenses gave me. I have used the Maritime Prizm Polarized lenses and they were to dark for me when it was cloudy out. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I will be ordering them from US Standard Issue site so hopefully a good replacement will be available on there.

I am looking for something comparable to the VR28 BIP lenses. I currently have them in my prescription Gascans. I just switched to contacts so I'm looking for new glasses. I am a big fan of the brighter contrast these lenses gave me. I have used the Maritime Prizm Polarized lenses and they were to dark for me when it was cloudy out. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I will be ordering them from US Standard Issue site so hopefully a good replacement will be available on there.

Prizm tungsten

Prizm daily is pretty good, but closer too OO black iridium if you've used that in the past.

Tungsten is good whether it's prizm or not

Agreed. I like regular tungsten better than prizm but prizm may be all he can find currently on the SI site that he says he will be ordering from.

I know you said you'd order from SI, but just in case you ever stray and look elsewhere.... I love my VR28 BIP but when I tried Gold for the first time, well, I haven't worn the Vr28 since. I've worn the Vr28 in all weather and sometimes in bright light, it just wasn't enough. That is not the case with the Gold. I can wear it rain or shine with no issues on either end of the spectrum. Gold isn't exactly easy to get a hold of these days, but well worth it should you stumble upon a set. Even if you have to have them custom cut to fit your frames.

TL;DR:
Get more VR28. If not, lean OO BIP. Can't find? Go DWP. Other option: Prizm Tungsten. More rare option: Gold Iridium. Maritime is a beast and you should stick with that if you already have it. 😉

For VR28 BIP, THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE!
Partial because it's my all-time favorite lens. Crazy versatile.

Prizm Tungsten may be a decent bet if not only because it takes the bronze lens AND, IMO, adds just a subtle pink hue to it which will get you closer to the brown/hint of rose/rust blend that the VR28 lens is.

I'm confused where you say Maritime is too dark... It has a VLT of 17% (VR28 BIP is 10%) and I always find that 17% to not be unbearable on direct sun days (performs better on bright sun days than it's "rated" for), but definitely a noticeable difference next to VR28 BIP. My definite go-to on cloudy/rainy days and great for summer Tstorm weather where it's sunny/dark/sunny again. Only my opinion.
I'm wondering if the base tint is messing with you here. The Prizm rose tint affecting your perception different than the VR28 base?

I'd recommend OO BIP, if you can get a hold of it. It is my 2nd favorite behind VR28 BIP (Maritime 3rd). It performs similar to somewhere between Prizm Daily and Prizm Black Polarized. Gold Iridium Polarized (not 24k) may be a harder task to come by.

Also, don't leave out Prizm Deep Water Polarized (DWP) in your consideration.

It may help us dial you in if you have a frame in mind so we can speak to what may or may not be available.

Below are some pics of my faves in my lineup.
- 1st & 2nd pics: OO BIP vs. VR28 BIP
- 3rd pic: OO BIP, DWP, Maritime, VR28 BIP
- 4th pic: (reorder) Maritime, DWP, VR28 BIP, OO BIP.

Good luck!
20180911_094008.jpg
20180911_094654.png
20180418_185521.jpg
20180418_185708.jpg

TL;DR:
Get more VR28. If not, lean OO BIP. Can't find? Go DWP. Other option: Prizm Tungsten. More rare option: Gold Iridium. Maritime is a beast and you should stick with that if you already have it. 😉

For VR28 BIP, THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE!
Partial because it's my all-time favorite lens. Crazy versatile.

Prizm Tungsten may be a decent bet if not only because it takes the bronze lens AND, IMO, adds just a subtle pink hue to it which will get you closer to the brown/hint of rose/rust blend that the VR28 lens is.

I'm confused where you say Maritime is too dark... It has a VLT of 17% (VR28 BIP is 10%) and I always find that 17% to not be unbearable on direct sun days (performs better on bright sun days than it's "rated" for), but definitely a noticeable difference next to VR28 BIP. My definite go-to on cloudy/rainy days and great for summer Tstorm weather where it's sunny/dark/sunny again. Only my opinion.
I'm wondering if the base tint is messing with you here. The Prizm rose tint affecting your perception different than the VR28 base?

I'd recommend OO BIP, if you can get a hold of it. It is my 2nd favorite behind VR28 BIP (Maritime 3rd). It performs similar to somewhere between Prizm Daily and Prizm Black Polarized. Gold Iridium Polarized (not 24k) may be a harder task to come by.

Also, don't leave out Prizm Deep Water Polarized (DWP) in your consideration.

It may help us dial you in if you have a frame in mind so we can speak to what may or may not be available.

Below are some pics of my faves in my lineup.
- 1st & 2nd pics: OO BIP vs. VR28 BIP
- 3rd pic: OO BIP, DWP, Maritime, VR28 BIP
- 4th pic: (reorder) Maritime, DWP, VR28 BIP, OO BIP.

Good luck!
View attachment 626729View attachment 626730View attachment 626732View attachment 626733
Great comparison. I'm also a fan of the bronze and rose base tints.

Back