• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

WARNING: Ebay Phishing Scam

Not to discredit the OP, but I would like to respectfully say that the ebay seller Brent (Kingranch22) is NOT a fraud. I have actually had a couple of phone conversations with him this week (he lives in Texas like myself). From what I have gathered from the conversations, he's a straight forward person who is selling his Plasma Romeo set for a high price on ebay because he'd learned recently that Romeos carry that kind of premium these days.

In addition he has even texted me on his own accord after our conversations to inquire about his Romeo set and which box his Plasma Romeo should go with. The guy, he originally bought an X-metal R1 retail but it got stolen. He then got a warranty replacement from Oakley headquarters, hence the Plasma R1 he has now. However, he didn't even know the difference between an X-metal and Plasma finish. I spent a good deal of time explaining to him the difference and just to share the little bit of info I've acquired on Romeos since I started collecting in September of last year. I don't know everything, but with the help of this forum (namely Xmetalmaniac) my learning curve has exponentially risen in the short time I've been on this forum.

Just to reiterate, he is not a fraud. I get "phishing" emails from family members and close friends ALL the time. It's just an unfortunate coincidence that the OP experienced. He is legit, period.

David

Last edited:
LOL! are you reading it clearly or not? I already told you that when i logged in my paypal account there was no money request or invoice! NONE! NADA! Never did i mention to paypal that the seller is on Ebay you got it now?!

when you click on the link its not the usual paypal log in site!
Every body is entitled in their own opinion but i just couldnt comprehend why you are reiterating that its not a phishing scam wherein the concerned site owner which is paypal already confirmed it.
Between you and paypal, i would 100% be on paypal.
Moral lesson: Never argue w/ #%^+$ they drag you down and beat you with sniffing experience :D

Oh well, i rest my case all the best with you!

i buy on ebay a lot and try to get a better deal by sending a message to the seller through email (requesting the email first of course). the seller is usually keen on this and because of ebay fees, agree to send a paypal invoice direct to my email. when you pay, you are paypal protected as well.
if i understood it correctly, you were trying to get a better price for the item and the seller then agrees as long as it is done out of ebay, so he can minimize ebay charges. if he sends you an invoice through paypal, that is legit. now if you received an invoice WITHOUT having contacted and transacted with any seller, then that may qualify as phishing mail.

ebay, of course, wants sellers to course through them so they can receive the fees. fees through paypal are minimal compared to ebay, as far as i am aware, and i do not even sell.

i see where the other members are going with this. to the OP, please be careful. what you are doing can destroy a legit seller's reputation. try to gain more knowledge on the ins and outs of ebay, paypal and even this forum, so we can avoid problems....

i understand that and i would stand corrected , as i have said there was no invoice issued nor a money request. i even urged him to just stick w/ ebay but he was reluctant.
The link which was sent to me is a phishing link as its not the official log in site for paypal account.

To be fair, i just hope nobody hacked his account or it was compromised thus the mess happened :(

Please close or delete this thread accordingly as needed.

Last edited:
One more thing. the link in your email is to the mobile Paypal site which I have had no luck getting to work. All I ask is one more think. Post up the link of where it actually took you when you clicked on it. I would be curious to see the address. Only the first part of the address is necessary.

There is a way to have it show up in text as correct but take you somewhere else, thats why I was curious about where the link actually took him.

I have communicated to the seller and told him that the link he used was a phishing scam link and he himself called paypal to direct him to the secured paypal site. Below herewith is the pic of the legit paypal notification when he was assisted with a paypal representative:

792C3F3B-4225-4A59-8E39-16B7E778F5C5_zpsbbw3uqly.jpg

and this pic is the phishing scam site looked like when was sent as notification on my email:

8DB471E1-487C-4E71-A300-4855A9B2F2DB_zpsjgx9emtb.jpg

Notice the big difference? It might not be the sellers intention/ fault of sending me the phishing email but it still pays to be proactive and better be safe than sorry:)

So how did that happen? If the seller sent a legit invoice, how did it become the "phishing" link?

Haven't you ever gotten your email (yahoo or whatever) hacked? I have. And family and friends would tell me that they got a "phishing" email from me. Vice versa, I've also gotten those types of emails from family and friends. It's pretty common nowadays unfortunately. I've had to get more and more creative in changing my account password several times now.

Latest Posts

Back