• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Warren Thomas

BMAC

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Houston, TX
Sometimes the "Holy Grail" isn't material. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to meet one of my favorite knife makers ever....Warren Thomas. He specializes in titanium and carbon fiber knives. While we were talking he told me that he once worked for Oakley on special projects. This story would be told much better by him, but I'll try to hit the high spots. They would send him over scaled resin composites for him to recreate in metal for the x-metal series during early research. He also told me that they were going to do the oil rig in carbon fiber with aluminum bands and icon and had him machine pieces for its design which was later changed to plastic or similar. He also showed me a prototype Minute Machine watch bezel and band. In case you were wondering about the resin composite pieces. His shop was damaged by a hurricane. I don't remember which one, and most everything was stolen by looters including many of his knife tools. He also did work for the CIA and FBI. His tactical pen and cig is often marketed as a DNA sampler or tire puncture device. Might as well be taking a tuna core sample. The pen is titanium and carbon fiber, will not set off metal detector and looks like a regular pen under x-ray. He also did work for Beretta and NASA. Anyway, thought it was a pretty cool story to share. He's still making knives on a limited basis. I picked up this one off titanium neck knife. Adding an example of his carbon fiber/titanium knife to show his craftsmanship. Hoping I am not breaking a rule, as this is Oakley related. I did get permission from Warren to post this, as he's not a member.

download (1).jpg

image_56d1d261-09ad-4c53-9131-107aaf6b569e_grande.jpg

IMG_20200823_212337.jpg

51fd2aec50c1f8084fec3dabff3cb171.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to take a picture of the watch, but i'll get him to send me a pic or update himself possibly. To me, it looked like the production model but he said it was different.

Ive been collecting Warrens work for over 10 years. Nicer pieces are getting harder and harder to come by now on the secondary market and it seems like he’s making knives on a very limited basis. Phenomenal craftsman with innovative ideas and construction techniques as well as not just another maker with a cnc mill churning out product that hardly touches the makers hands. So many “custom” makers nowadays are no more than someone with a few design ideas and access to cnc equipment, the only time they touch the materials is to assemble them. Warren is definitely a person I would call a true craftsman. Some of my favourite pieces below, sorry about the crappy pics but didn’t feel like rigging up the light box to take proper photos.

5D105AD3-278A-4DDC-A9B3-CC3291B4374A.jpeg
CD762711-38F6-4EFD-95C4-C56DF7F79C72.jpeg

Crown and chrono buttons look to be different on the mm. Cool story!

Back