• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Watch Quality

And not to mention how the bracelet on the MM doesn't pinch the hair on your wrist...really cool how they designed a way around that. And I don't see the band flexing anytime soon. Ever. I doubt the washers will even ever have to be replaced. Maybe....but if so, that will be way down the line. Hmmm....might be a good idea to see if you can purchase some of the washers in case they ever dry out and/or brake. Now....before Oakley is done all together with watches. Maybe Linegear can make aftermarket ones...eh...
Yours doesnt? Mine rips hairs off my arm like a F$&king waxing kit.

Yours doesnt? Mine rips hairs off my arm like a F$&king waxing kit.

Nah, I mean....it's not nearly as bad compared to other watches I have with metal bracelets. I can't stand rubber or leather, I need a metal band. And the MM is the easiest on my wrist...I have smaller watches that weigh twice as much that really pull my hair....and I'm one hairy Greek SOB. lol

That's about what I figured. Y'all have watches that are far outside my price range and I wasn't aware that Oakley had any models reaching 10K and up. Thanks for the great info, now I am going to go look at some of the models mentioned here.

I purchased an Oakley D1 about 10 years ago.
It been a great watch, accurate and reliable.
However, when I opened it up to change the battery, the movement looked very cheap & nasty.
I was disappointed to be honest.
This is what I wear now, I wouldn't dare take the back off this! :eek:

DSC00323.JPG

Last edited:
I have 3 Rolex watches...but this one is my favorite. It's an older watch, and it has never had a problem. I upgraded it by putting on a Presidential gold band....I love it.

The datejust is all the info I need...very plain and traditional look.

20151107_134239.jpg

I'm no watch expert, but if the most expensive Oakley watch (FMJ) is using the same Swiss movement as my $700 Invicta, I'm sad for anyone who has that particular Oakley watch and thinks "it's worth it"...

At that price point, it's pretty much just the fact that you have one that makes it worth it for the buyer...

Not sure what movement are in the other Oakley watches, but something tells me they're not the greatest Swiss movements out there...

For the sake of playing Devil's Advocate, I think most watch fans would agree with you. Though there are many different versions of the movement--from the base version found in your Invicta all the way to heavily modified versions found in highly capable and specialized brands like IWC--the 7750 used in the FMJ and the 2824-2 found in the TBII are basically the Honda Civics of the automatic watch movement world. Highly modifiable, easy to fix and maintain, easy to get parts for, relatively inexpensive, super ubiquitous, etc. But no matter how much you tune it or what packaging you put on it, you still have a Honda Civic.

The selling point of Oakley's watches is less so the movement and more the design, the case and the bracelet uniqueness. True, the most most interesting thing about a watch for most collectors is the movement and where most of the price/value comes from, but there is something to be said about interesting and unique designs. Still, would someone pay top level pricing for just a case and bracelet? Most wouldn't since a bracelet and case aren't really all that cost prohibitive to make inhouse (as opposed to a movement), but that's a personal decision for any buyer.

Ultimately things like the FMJ weren't created for those highly knowledgeable about watches, or those wanting value for the dollar compared to other top brands with sophisticated movements, or those looking for the top of what horology can offer. They were made for Oakley fans that want limited edition stuff.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back