• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Watch Quality

NCHornet

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
I have a question that may help others looking at this thread. Since cell phones I no longer collect watches, but my son has taken over my watch collection so they went to a good dude, lol!!!! I kept my favorite SS Luminox Blackout and one dress watch that never gets worn bUT gAve all the rset to him. What is the real quality of Oakley watches or is it all over the place? Does Oakley actually make them? I figured they just sub'd all the manufacturing out and slapped their name on the dial. I can remember the first bright red digital watches made by Timex in the 70's, lol!!!!! I know you can buy a watch at the dollar tree that will keep decent time for most people, but for those in the known where do you consider the quality of Oakley to fall when compared to other known manufacturers? Thanks for the schooling?

I have a question that may help others looking at this thread. Since cell phones I no longer collect watches, but my son has taken over my watch collection so they went to a good dude, lol!!!! I kept my favorite SS Luminox Blackout and one dress watch that never gets worn bUT gAve all the rset to him. What is the real quality of Oakley watches or is it all over the place? Does Oakley actually make them? I figured they just sub'd all the manufacturing out and slapped their name on the dial. I can remember the first bright red digital watches made by Timex in the 70's, lol!!!!! I know you can buy a watch at the dollar tree that will keep decent time for most people, but for those in the known where do you consider the quality of Oakley to fall when compared to other known manufacturers? Thanks for the schooling?

I asked myself that many times, if someone dropped $10K on an FMJ...they say it's the best thing out there. I've seen the movement, the parts look clean....but for that money, I would feel more comfortable with a GP, Chopard, or Rols (those are what I collect). I really don't know enough to say...I spoke to a few jewelers who agreed that the money for a FMJ could be better used on a far better movement, but Oakley doesn't really have a long enough track record. I like the FMJ...great looking watch, but is it more of a gimmick thing? A part of me thinks so...but again, I don't know enough to make that call. I saw a video of the making of the watch....looked sharp, but.....from what I was told, the parts are Swiss, but it's assembled in LA. Sounds great and patriotic, but I would rather have a watch born and made by the Swiss....rather than some guys out on the beach in Cali. lol No offense to any Oakley watch owner...I have one myself.

I have seen so many Rolexs that they don't even get a second look. My wife has a diamond bezel Rolex and never gets a comment and has been in for breakage 3 times. Almost daily my MM gets comments and only service was a battery. I am sure Frank gets many more looks and comments on his FMJ than I do with the MM. His is the only one I have ever seen in the wild.

Yeah....I've had my MM now for almost 2 weeks and I think I got more compliments with that watch up to now than I have with my Rols Presidential. The MM is a good watch, but I didn't buy it for it's movement or for how well it keeps time, I simply bought it because it looks wicked mean. The bracelet is a home run. I might pick up another and have it done in all black like the one pictured in one of the other posts. Not sure about the red face...but black should have been an option IMHO. Looks mean mean mean!

Yeah....I've had my MM now for almost 2 weeks and I think I got more compliments with that watch up to now than I have with my Rols Presidential. The MM is a good watch, but I didn't buy it for it's movement or for how well it keeps time, I simply bought it because it looks wicked mean. The bracelet is a home run. I might pick up another and have it done in all black like the one pictured in one of the other posts. Not sure about the red face...but black should have been an option IMHO. Looks mean mean mean!
you should change your mind to the blue dial with polish lol...:D:D

I'm no watch expert but I am going to throw in my two cents anyway. I think with anything Oakley you are paying for the total package and a big part of that price point is the name. Everybody knows when you buy anything Oakley you are paying a premium for the name and the status of having a product with that name. That being said, when you buy Oakley you are also getting a work of art that is made form high end materials and will be the apex of form and functionality. There is no doubt you can get a watch with a better movement for a lesser price, but you will not find a watch that looks and feels like a MM or a TB or TB II. These watches are not only high quality watches that function as good or better than anything else you will buy, but they look unlike anything else on the market. You can wear a Rolex submariner everyday for a year and count the amount of compliments you get on one hand. Most people don't even know its a rolex because it looks like a high end Seiko unless you look close and see that crown. In my opinion the Oakley watches are totally unique and you can always pick them out when you see one. From experience I can say the Time Bomb is an amazing watch in form, functionality, look and feel. To quote @THE X-MAN its like having liquid metal around your wrist. I have never worn a watch that is as comfortable. Beyond its comfort, its made of Titanium and has a great kinetic movement. Oakley is Oakley and there is nothing that compares when you take into consideration the entire package, especially the aesthetic components.

And not to mention how the bracelet on the MM doesn't pinch the hair on your wrist...really cool how they designed a way around that. And I don't see the band flexing anytime soon. Ever. I doubt the washers will even ever have to be replaced. Maybe....but if so, that will be way down the line. Hmmm....might be a good idea to see if you can purchase some of the washers in case they ever dry out and/or brake. Now....before Oakley is done all together with watches. Maybe Linegear can make aftermarket ones...eh...

Back