• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Watch Winders for TB and Auto's

XxRuMKaxX

I Should Work at M-Experiment
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
So I am venturing into having enough watches I cannot possibly keep my autos charged all the time. Watch winders are of interest as a solution... Tell me which one you use and what the better ones have and brands that are best built. I feel when all is said and done I will have a half dozen auto's. Amazon pic below for example...
81xuxc+nPBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

So I am venturing into having enough watches I cannot possibly keep my autos charged all the time. Watch winders are of interest as a solution... Tell me which one you use and what the better ones have and brands that are best built. I feel when all is said and done I will have a half dozen auto's. Amazon pic below for example... View attachment 920008
From my inquiries into the subject, it’s better not to use winders and let them shut down. It’s annoying to adjust them when you want to swap out, but it’s better for the watch in the long run.

New lithium? You switched the capacitor for a battery?
No... The 1st gen capacitor was a piece of crap on the TB1 as we all know and there is a new version of the capacitor that comes as a lithium like the TB2 has and last up to 4-6 months instead of 4-6 days. I might not have all that right but its close. My terminology could be off a touch LOL! But anyway... as I have read it is not good to allow the newer capacitors run down.

No... The 1st gen capacitor was a piece of crap on the TB1 as we all know and there is a new version of the capacitor that comes as a lithium like the TB2 has and last up to 4-6 months instead of 4-6 days. I might not have all that right but its close. My terminology could be off a touch LOL! But anyway... as I have read it is not good to allow the newer capacitors run down.
The TB2 has a Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement, which has a 38-40 hour power reserve.

It doesn’t have a capacitor, so whatever you switched your failed one with is likely just another capacitor. Running down the TB2 doesn’t affect anything, since the power is just the wound mainspring.

Whether running down the TB1 is bad for its capacitor, I do not know for certain. Maybe @Steven Goldberg or @Oakman1992 or @Wristiceman might know

It is bad for the Capacitor to be totally discharged on a TB1. I had a Stealth TB1 which not long before I sold it I had the Capacitor renewed. The Bellend who I sold it to didn't wear it in the (12 months? he had it) and me being as big as the aforementioned didn't check this out before I bought it back off him. Basically with the Toothbrush Charger I can get it working again but after rotational wear with my other watches it goes back into the high consumption mode (counts time in Two second intervals) once it is in this mode if the CP is cooked i don't believe it can be "resuscitated" out of it.
The owner of the "business" who has done a couple of mine in the past (he won't be doing anymore rest assured) point blank refuses to believe that the Toothbrush charger can recover a Battery & also opinions that the watch needs 4 days of wearing to keep the charge. This is BS. I wear my Cannon TB1 once every 9-10 days & my Polished Carbon the same & they are fine. A Capacitor should be good for at least 4-5 years, Hell some of the 20+ year old TB's are still on their original Capacitor. The one he has put in my Stealth was defective & he point blank refuses to replace it.

It is bad for the Capacitor to be totally discharged on a TB1. I had a Stealth TB1 which not long before I sold it I had the Capacitor renewed. The Bellend who I sold it to didn't wear it in the (12 months? he had it) and me being as big as the aforementioned didn't check this out before I bought it back off him. Basically with the Toothbrush Charger I can get it working again but after rotational wear with my other watches it goes back into the high consumption mode (counts time in Two second intervals) once it is in this mode if the CP is cooked i don't believe it can be "resuscitated" out of it.
The owner of the "business" who has done a couple of mine in the past (he won't be doing anymore rest assured) point blank refuses to believe that the Toothbrush charger can recover a Battery & also opinions that the watch needs 4 days of wearing to keep the charge. This is BS. I wear my Cannon TB1 once every 9-10 days & my Polished Carbon the same & they are fine. A Capacitor should be good for at least 4-5 years, Hell some of the 20+ year old TB's are still on their original Capacitor. The one he has put in my Stealth was defective & he point blank refuses to replace it.
Yes... this is what I understand as well and I am having two TB1's updated with the new capacitor so my concern is to keep them charged. Ive seen the toothbrush charger thread... seems more practical to buy a winder :lolsign:
I went ahead and dropped the bucks on this to get started since it was on sale on Amazon. Figure if I like something better in the future as I learn about them I can upgrade....