• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Watches Other Than Oakley

They’re definitely awesome timepieces. Anyone who’s saying Rolex is a step ahead in the modern era doesn’t know what they’re talking about or is a brand loyalist.

Agree 100 percent on that. Omega has really stepped up their game over the last few years. I’d say they are really even in terms of quality, fit, and finish. Omega has even started producing some “in house” movements, though I’d give Rolex the slight edge here. Downside to Rolex is that they only have solid case backs. I always love exhibition case backs and to see the beautiful heart of the watch.

Agree 100 percent on that. Omega has really stepped up their game over the last few years. I’d say they are really even in terms of quality, fit, and finish. Omega has even started producing some “in house” movements, though I’d give Rolex the slight edge here. Downside to Rolex is that they only have solid case backs. I always love exhibition case backs and to see the beautiful heart of the watch.

Why would you give Rolex the edge for in house? The 8800,8900, etc are all truly in house.

I totally agreed, wish Rolex would do exhibition case backs.

Why would you give Rolex the edge for in house? The 8800,8900, etc are all truly in house.

I totally agreed, wish Rolex would do exhibition case backs.

Not giving an overall edge to Rolex, just a slight edge on the movements, and only because imho they have been manufacturing in house for a lot longer. I still feel that they are pretty even, overall. Apples to Apples comparison.

I’m far from an expert on movements though, and I probably know less about Rolex movements than any other brand. Truth be told, I’ve only ever had one Rolex which was a Date model back in 2000.

The expert in this arena would be @shofzr. I had just asked him about Subs the other day. Lol. What are your thoughts on the newer Omega movements like the 8900 and 9300 compared to similar Rolex movements?

Not giving an overall edge to Rolex, just a slight edge on the movements, and only because imho they have been manufacturing in house for a lot longer. I still feel that they are pretty even, overall. Apples to Apples comparison.

I’m far from an expert on movements though, and I probably know less about Rolex movements than any other brand. Truth be told, I’ve only ever had one Rolex which was a Date model back in 2000.

The expert in this arena would be @shofzr. I had just asked him about Subs the other day. Lol. What are your thoughts on the newer Omega movements like the 8900 and 9300 compared to similar Rolex movements?
For a long time, at least for chronographs, Rolex’s “in house” manufacture was basically some light refinishing of Valjoux movements. The cult of in house manufacture is more of a recent development, triggered at least in part by Swatch Grouo swallowing up ETA.

The new 8900 and 9300 compared to the 3135 or 3235 is pretty on par. I would say the one thing Rolex is better at is the thickness of their movements. Unfortunately, some of Omega in-house start to get really thick due to their double barrel design. However, it is better at mitigating isosynchronism (the level of accuracy a watch maintains as its power reserve runs low). Also, the higher beat rate of 8 bph vs 7, though Omega’s in-house calibers have been shown to run at 8 bph in their chronograph movements. So, that isn’t a big discussion point.

It would be if there wasn’t a sodding great rotor in the way!

Agreed, I was thinking the same. The rotor is massive!

The one area where Rolex are clearly ahead of every other mid-tier watch brand is their marketing department...

Lol, yes! And the fact they rarely discount now, which can be better for long term value. Although, Omega is starting not to discount its new models now.

Just came back from service and I put it back in the rotation...these bracelets are amazingly comfortable, as you other Omegaphiles (?) know...

253557E1-8B09-4029-962B-02E98FBA1CCD.jpeg

2 more in the box, a “Bond” midsize quartz and the birth year Seamaster - 1967. Classic cool and a favorite with a suit and tie.

Back