• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Wearing Oakley RX frames with no RX lens but clear?

All Oakley RX frames come with a sample lens but they're just a piece of clear plastic that hardly meets the criteria of 'lens'. They're provided only for eye doctors to measure and cut RX lens for your frame. You can get zero power (aka plano) lens from eye doctors but they won't offer much other than UV protection. If you want glare reduction, go with Ti Clear custom cut Oakley lenses.

Thanks for the info mate. :)

All Oakley RX frames come with a sample lens but they're just a piece of clear plastic that hardly meets the criteria of 'lens'. They're provided only for eye doctors to measure and cut RX lens for your frame. You can get zero power (aka plano) lens from eye doctors but they won't offer much other than UV protection. If you want glare reduction, go with Ti Clear custom cut Oakley lenses.
What he said... You would give your eyes just as much UV protection popping out the lenses and just wearing the frames.

Any idea where I can get these?

Ti Clear are more readily available on older style frames. Some Oakley stores may still stock them for various frames (eg. flak jackets iirc). If you can't source it new from Oakley, then ebay is your best bet. However if you go via the custom route, you'd need to source one that has adequate size & matching curvature to your desired frame.

FYI an alternate lens to Ti Clear are the photochromic clear lens. They're flat clear without Iridium coating and will adjust the tints based on the level of UV light around you.

If you've never wore glasses due to your blessed 20/20 vision then I'd suggest you try a few cheap pairs of readily available glasses (perhaps the sin of non-oakley) just to see what works for you first. Wearing glasses have their challenges that you may not be aware of. For example:
* if you wear relatively flat glasses, then you may see ghosting reflections from brightly lit backgrounds behind you
* if you wear relatively high wrap glasses (think radars, x-metals, jackets, etc) then you may need to invest in good Oakley lens as other brands may create significant visual distortions to your depth perception

I got my crosslink today, they are ok the interchangeable arms and the frame itself seem like made in china. It comes with a plastic lens that says O matter on the left lens. Its ok I guess, i will go to a optometrist and find about prices on photocromatic. Thanks for your help everyone.

Back