• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Well This Will Be Interesting.

rmontez

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Wisconsin
I am going to Cerakote a pair of OTT's. I'll post how it goes unless I completely fail then I am going to delete this thread!! lol

BE76B443-4A57-4203-BC64-F862FF507D48_zpsi6mirqdy.jpg

No I haven't. I prepped the OTT's but they look like **** and I have been embarrassed to show you guys them!! I figured I'll wait for the finished product.

alright here is my story. I bought a pair of OTT's that were in pretty rough shape but after a 2.5 hour drive I decided to buy them anyway. They were chipped up and had some purple marks on them so I decided I would try to Cerakote them. The first thing is I have no patience at all. I was going to buy a sand blasting machine and get some aluminum oxide blasting material like the instructions call for but I didn't make it to town so I just used the shops sand blaster and whatever material was in it. This was the results after I sand blasted with material that was in there for removing paint from metal.

DD06D774-C8A3-497A-82D1-A4A34DB07DB6_zpssq1mlxye.jpg

You can see why I was embarrassed to show them before this.

Then I worked them for a couple hours with 600 and 1000 wet dry sand paper. After a couple hours I got them all cleaned up and smoothed out.

FFAC5251-C7AB-4FF8-9FF4-56FC5D5AA75F_zpsbq2kkish.jpg

Still not in the greatest shape and I was feeling scared I had ruined a set of OTT's. I did sand on them over the next few days while I waiting for my Cerakote order. Well the Cerakote showed up today an I couldn't wait to get at it. I need a little more experience with a steady hand but I have to be honest I was panicking about not getting them in the oven right away so I rushed along. This is the outcome after everything was done

3AF00784-E966-42CF-9948-6904C16B2CB3_zpsubuie8q7.jpg

Overall for my first time I am very happy. I wanted to make these look nice for my son, he wears OTT's while running track. I will post pictures after I clean them up and put everything back on the frames.

My advice to anyone who wants to try is just go for it. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I went through a lot of emotions from when I first started this but in the end I am very happy with the outcome. If anyone has any specific questions let me know. Thanks for reading.