• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What are chances Oakley re-releases X-Metal?

If Oakley is to bring back X-Metal, the slim chance of it happening will have to be Made in Japan.

Contrary to what Oakley said in their X-Metal promo video, the Japanese was the first to manufacturer titanium frames way back in the early 80's.

Last year Lux took over Fukui Megane which is one of the old skool hand made Japanese titanium frame manufacturers in Sabae, and proceeded to churn out some limited production Ray-Bans (I think the take over has more to do with switching Japanese made Oliver Peoples frames away from its OG manufacturer Eyevan / Optec Japan Corp).

But I think to truly reproduce X-Metal properly it would have to be a titanium golf club manufacturer lol!

BTW Lux is actually EssiLux now (the merger of the world's largest lens manufacturer Essilor with the world's largest frame maker Luxottica). The merger actually hasn't been going well with a ton of in-fighting between the two factions lmao!

Last edited:
It could happen, I mean they made stupid TI hinges and then slapped a crazy price on it. All they need to do is make the rest of it. The golden question would be how much would they charge?

Back