• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What are chances Oakley re-releases X-Metal?

Sup
07849a3f5c32ceee6006a8c150a7b296.jpg

Just saying hi.

I won't be holding my breath for any re-releases and will get acquainted with what's been produced and see what I like from that ..

Unfortunately the chance of a re-release is really close to zero simply because the X-Metal construction and manufacturing process make absolutely no sense to any traditional frame maker period. Oakley is really the Nike of sunglasses, it's all about gimmicks. X-Metal is more of a beautiful art piece than a functional pair of glasses.

Furthermore some of the people that originally made it happen have already left Oakley; founder Jim Jannard, his architectural design consultant Colin Baden, not sure if their first properly trained industrial designer Peter Yee is still there, I think Brian Takumi is probably the only guy left that may be able to bring it back...

Last edited:
The factory that made" real" x-metals has closed down. Most people around here do not include badman and madman as real x-metals but more of a sly/clever marketing ploy by lux.

Whilst most of us wish for new x-metals to be manufactured, we are happy to collect the initial runs.
Xmetals are dead production wise.
Sadly Oakley xmetals are gone.
That’s why they are so collectible.
A time in Oakley history that has passed

Unfortunately the chance of a re-release is really close to zero simply because the X-Metal construction and manufacturing process make absolutely no sense to any traditional frame maker period. Oakley is really the Nike of sunglasses, it's all about gimmicks. X-Metal is more of a beautiful art piece than a functional pair of glasses.

Furthermore some of the people that originally made it happen have already left Oakley; founder Jim Jannard, his architectural design consultant Colin Baden, not sure if their first properly trained industrial designer Peter Yee is still there, I think Brian Takumi is probably the only guy left that may be able to bring it back...
I think many here would not agree on your statement about xmetals being more of an "art piece than a functional pair of glasses". If there were no replacement parts (rubbers/lenses/parts for nose bridge repair), then I would agree.

However, because after market suppliers it is my opinion that these can be as functional as any other pair of sunglasses and be cool as all friggin' hell to see being worn or in a collectors display

look the issue is not the alloy, the team at Oakley, sales logistics, internal politics, the fact that the 'new' version of Oakley isn't, or any of that crap.

Millennials do NOT have brand recognition for Oakley, and even if they did what Millennial is going to drop 500$ on a pair of sunglasses? Dont forget your Jnco elephant bells and make sure the timer on the VCR is set. Harley Davidson is having the exact same issue but doing even worse than Oakley did. Oakley did manage to come out with some things that the new generation will buy. Harley is working dang hard on getting their own grave dug.

Back