• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

OakleyBoss

Staff member
Premium Member
Administrator
USA
You likely know what photochromic lenses are even if you don’t recognize the word. They are the glasses that turn into sunglasses, transitioning the lenses from clear to dark with exposure to UV light (You may also know them as Transitions lenses).
But how much do you really know about these lenses? And how do they work?
Keep reading for our complete guide to Photochromic glasses and everything to know before you put them in your next pair of glasses!

What Are Photochromic Lenses?
Photochromic lenses, also known as light-adaptive, light intelligent, or variable tint lenses, automatically adjust to the amount of UV light present and turn eyeglasses into sunglasses when necessary.
Photochromic lenses are traditionally used in prescription eyeglasses so that wearers don’t have to carry both glasses and sunglasses.
Pros and Cons...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Very informative. Thanks. I’m thinking about getting prescription sunglasses for golf and this was helpful

I spent weeks researching this before I pulled the trigger on the Grey Transition vs the black Iridium. The iridium had a silver reflective tint when clear vs the grey was crystal clear until the sun hit it. I have the Nike Max Tranisition + everything added extra and I will say Oakley has them beat hands down. There isn’t any comparison at all.

4330AF8D-10B8-4476-81BD-AB3DB2A025DD.jpeg

F7B2C24D-FF4C-4F79-8040-C8A8506FC695.jpeg

The Oakley and OakleySI websites won't allow you to add prescriptions to photochromic lenses. I asked the customer service agents and they say they aren't available in prescription. I believe the customer service techs are just looking for a quick answer. They have been available in the past.

I spent weeks researching this before I pulled the trigger on the Grey Transition vs the black Iridium. The iridium had a silver reflective tint when clear vs the grey was crystal clear until the sun hit it. I have the Nike Max Tranisition + everything added extra and I will say Oakley has them beat hands down. There isn’t any comparison at all.

View attachment 866529

View attachment 866600
The Oakley and OakleySI websites won't allow you to add prescriptions to photochromic lenses. I asked the customer service agents and they say they aren't available in prescription. I believe the customer service techs are just looking for a quick answer. They have been available in the past, obviously, if you have them. I am discouraged as Oakley has the glasses that fit me the best.

The Oakley and OakleySI websites won't allow you to add prescriptions to photochromic lenses. I asked the customer service agents and they say they aren't available in prescription. I believe the customer service techs are just looking for a quick answer. They have been available in the past, obviously, if you have them. I am discouraged as Oakley has the glasses that fit me the best.
It’s all in the language being used.

Tell them you want added

P1.59 Oakley Trans8 Grey then you will have the option of the photochromatic. Get both in your Rx trust me.

View attachment 866529

View attachment 866600
I have the same lenses inbound in a new pair of Flaks. Glad to hear you like them!

I waffled on iridium vs transitions too, ended up going with the transitions because they’re going to be indoors most of the time.

I have the same lenses inbound in a new pair of Flaks. Glad to hear you like them!

I waffled on iridium vs transitions too, ended up going with the transitions because they’re going to be indoors most of the time.
You will enjoy them

Back