• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What are the darkest sunglasses that'll also fit my face shape? ++

CK007

Oakley Beginner
I need the darkest sunglasses I can find, I have very light eyes and they are quite sensitive to the sun.

I also have a big face, my nose is thin my eyes are smallish, so usually the problem I have is my sunglasses fall on my cheeks, which I don't want. I don't want anything that'll touch my cheeks!

Can I please get some sunglasses suggestions for the above?

-Thank you! :)

Thanks! I was actually thinking the same, black iridium and polarized. I'm just not sure which style would suit me best either.

Below is a pretty comprehensive text-based lens tint guide (not sure if it's completely accurate but I think it's a good starting point):

Oakley Sunglasses Lens Tint Guide | evo

According to that table: Black Iridium Polarized, Ice Iridium Polarized and Gold Iridium Polarized have visible light transmissions of 9%. Black and Ice have a grey base color (neutral) while Gold has a bronze/brown (contrast).

If you want to see how various lenses look through the eye, check out the following by Steveo from YouTube:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

As for style, I would recommend going to a local Sunglass Hut, Oakley Store and trying everything out and see which ones you like best. :D

Thanks for the videos. unfortunately I don't have any nearby stores that have a lot of Oakley sunglasses available, I was thinking of purcahsing some online. I'll just have to look at some places that offer a good return policy.
/ don't want anything crazy, just a basic everyday style, also one that covers the sides of the eyes, no crazy tints, just basic black iridium/polarized.

Below is a pretty comprehensive text-based lens tint guide (not sure if it's completely accurate but I think it's a good starting point):

Oakley Sunglasses Lens Tint Guide | evo

According to that table: Black Iridium Polarized, Ice Iridium Polarized and Gold Iridium Polarized have visible light transmissions of 9%. Black and Ice have a grey base color (neutral) while Gold has a bronze/brown (contrast).

If you want to see how various lenses look through the eye, check out the following by Steveo from YouTube:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

As for style, I would recommend going to a local Sunglass Hut, Oakley Store and trying everything out and see which ones you like best. :D
@steveocubed did an awesome job with those videos. I've confirmed my worst fears with one of those frames lol

@CK007, You have to just go on a trying spree at a store; no two faces are alike. Feel free to post selfies on this thread, if you're still unsure of the look:
The "OK, Tell me 'Yes' or 'No'. Do I suit these?" Thread | Oakley Forum

Thanks for the videos. unfortunately I don't have any nearby stores that have a lot of Oakley sunglasses available, I was thinking of purcahsing some online. I'll just have to look at some places that offer a good return policy.
/ don't want anything crazy, just a basic everyday style, also one that covers the sides of the eyes, no crazy tints, just basic black iridium/polarized.
Late replying. Oops.
Depending on head shape, etc, Fuel Cell is one basic frame for larger faces.

If you want the sides of your eyes covered, go for frames with more "wrap." Generally, these are ones with 8.75 base curvature. Oakley doesn't always mention this but sometimes they do in the description.

Look for:
8.75 base lens curvature

Most sports frames are wrap-style but they can sometimes look funky if you choose any color other than basic black for the frames.

I went to a lenscrafters today and asked them if they had any Oakley black iridium polarized sunglasses and the only ones that they had (that had frames all around the lenses) were the gascan ones.. (because I don't like the ones that have uncovered lenses underneath, I want them to be framed all around) so I tried on the gascan ones..and I don't know are these really the darkest ones? because even in a store I could easily see my eyes through the sunglasses...which I shouldn't be able to...
as for the shape/style..it was ok..it didn't touch my cheeks so that's good, but it felt loose..you know what I mean? I'd like them to be just a tiny bit bigger so that sun won't be able to come in from the top/bottom, and maybe tighter..
and the lenses I'd like to be much much darker, I could easily see my eyes..

Back