• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Are You Driving ?

Had to look up the conversion on that...about 470 miles.
IMG_3720.JPG

Hahahhaha George is my favorite. I've only seen a few episodes but he's funny.
My older kids picks up the accent for a short time as he watches it...

'Doddy, Doddy! Mummy mummy!'

He thinks it's funny!

There's usually a language option when you start up Lego games made by TT. There are two English options among a buffet of other choices. He always asks me to pick the right one (UK vs. USA) because he doesn't want to play he one 'where they speak English all funny' :p

My older kids picks up the accent for a short time as he watches it...

'Doddy, Doddy! Mummy mummy!'

He thinks it's funny!

There's usually a language option when you start up Lego games made by TT. There are two English options among a buffet of other choices. He always asks me to pick the right one (UK vs. USA) because he doesn't want to play he one 'where they speak English all funny' :p
Where do you get "Doddy" from? It's daddy here too!

There is quite a lot of US TV shown in the UK (I know you're in Canada Lex, so not directed at you specifically) and we get used to a lot of the pronounciation. It doesn't bother me often but if it's a cookery programme using herbs heavily I sometimes have to turn over - the US pronounciation of basil is awful, coriander has literally no syllable pronounced correctly (the US calls it cilantro, if you're wondering what I mean) and why on earth they think it's a silent h in herb is beyond me! :p Don't think it's the Spanish influence again, like cilantro instead of coriander, because hierbas isn't silent before the e either.

Words ending -an too. If a programme mentions Milan, I probably turn over to avoid hearing the word being strangled...

Last edited:
Wow that was awesome, like a flash back! It took me forever to figure out that coriander and cilantro were the same thing. My ex wife is British and we were together 10 years so I definitely saw the differences. I was 17 when we stared dating. The first time I met her mother she said something about going out to blow a ***. I about died, I was so confised. For those of y'all that don't know, the British do not smoke a cigarette, they blow a ***. That little bit of pink stuff at the end of a pencil? Not an eraser! We'd be doing math homework and she's asking me for a rubber! The best was when she cooked breakfast. No sausage. We had bangers! We apparently say aluminum wrong as well but I only see one I.

There is quite a lot of US TV shown in the UK (I know you're in Canada Lex, so not directed at you specifically) and we get used to a lot of the pronounciation. It doesn't bother me often but if it's a cookery programme using herbs heavily I sometimes have to turn over - the US pronounciation of basil is awful, coriander has literally no syllable pronounced correctly (the US calls it cilantro, if you're wondering what I mean) and why on earth they think it's a silent h in herb is beyond me! :p Don't think it's the Spanish influence again, like cilantro instead of coriander, because hierbas isn't silent before the e either.

Words ending -an too. If a programme mentions Milan, I probably turn over to avoid hearing the word being strangled...
what about whilst? Not even a word used in modern english language, yet every up and coming jounralist drops it once or twice!

I MAY be a cunning linguist (tee hee hee) but I am in no way an ACTUAL linguist.

I figured my story it wouldn't come across to accurately in writing.

Having grown up in area with moderate British influence (the north east having some transatlantic soeecxh otterbs and having two immediate neighbours who are British ex pats) I am slightly familiar with some of the speech quirks/variations between our two cultures.

Not that he knows what he's doin, but my little guy is mimicking the pronounciation difference in certain vowels which can make the same word sound vastly different. It's different to his ears and he finds it funny.

So in the word 'Daddy' ... the 'a' is a little elongated and we give it a slight 'ah' sound and the D's are dulled a little ...

Don't get me started in the OTHER differences... ;);):)

Latest Posts

Back