• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What do you think is a "real" Oakley Collector?

Introduction
People get into heated arguments as to what a "true" collector is.

Heck, I've had more than my fair share, too.

The charge of not being a collector is usually levelled at people who are considered "flippers" (O.F. members who buy items purely to sell and make a profit) or those who are despised for some reason. But I don't think that's reasonable (if you're using logic). You can be a "flipper" and a "collector" at the same time, just as you can be an "accountant" and a "collector" at the same time.

Some collectors are almost zealots/extremists in their passion for Oakley and get quite emotional about stuff. I've been a little surprised (particularly in recent times) at some of the quite extreme/vehement statements toward fellow members (and I am also sorry for my contribution to the negativity on the forum as well). Let's hope that we don't forget that these things are JUST sunglasses and things don't escalate to literally killing each other (as was seen in the UK recently, where an enthusiast stabbed and killed someone over a Beatrice Potter 50p collectible coin - Coin enthusiast who stabbed fellow collector to death facing 30 years behind bars ).

A word to those who are despised (and I'm sure you know this) - it doesn't matter what other people think, anyhow e.g. to use a contemporary example, I doubt that President Trump cares if people think he is the President or not. The fact is, that he is in that position, regardless of people's emotional feelings on the matter. Whether we like it or not is irrelevant to whether he actually IS the President of the USA. Ditto Oakley "collectors" IMHO!!!

Nevertheless, I am genuinely interested in hearing what people's idea of a being an Oakley collector is, and some logical reasons why they think that way. Maybe I've missed something that's specific to Oakley collecting that defines a "collector".

Actual Definition of "Collector"
Dictionary.com - "a person who collects books, paintings, stamps, shells, etc., especially as a hobby."
Merriam Webster Dictionary - "a person who makes a collection"
Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary - "someone who collects certain things as a job or as a hobby:"
MacMillan Dictionary - "someone who collects things for fun"
Oxford Dictionary - "A person who collects things of a specified type, professionally or as a hobby."

Therefore, an "Oakley Collector" is someone who collects Oakleys as a hobby (especially, but not exclusively, ie. they could do it is as a job as well).

It would strike me that if you collect a number of things, you bring them together from several places or from several people, then you are in fact a "Collector".

An Oakley collector is me! Someone who decides to spend their extra stash on Oaks rather than other things, gets excited about the brand, and not just the sunnies.... someone almost proud to represent.... one who enjoys conversing with other like collectors about topics that non-collectors could give a crap about.... and who, for the most part in my experience, are “good peoples”. Someone who puts an O sticker on their vehicle and thinks they’re cool.... that about sums it up.

An Oakley collector is me! Someone who decides to spend their extra stash on Oaks rather than other things, gets excited about the brand, and not just the sunnies.... someone almost proud to represent.... one who enjoys conversing with other like collectors about topics that non-collectors could give a crap about.... and who, for the most part in my experience, are “good peoples”. Someone who puts an O sticker on their vehicle and thinks they’re cool.... that about sums it up.

Lol youre our mascot

OFG is the title she wears...
:hi:

I have bought several things from you that you def. could have charged way more for......You not only are a true collector but have a passion to help others out with their collection.

Thanks brother! You have a couple of the pairs I wanted to keep forever! ;)

That ain’t flippin dude. That’s building a collection. I built mine the same way. The only difference is I keep a spreadsheet so I know all my purchases and sales.

The flipper is the cat that will buy ANYTHING cheap and find actual collectors to sell it to with the sole purpose of making money.

Like when a guy starts selling **** cheap and a bunch of people start liking them and building collections then one ******* notices and just blanket buys all of them JUST to turn around and sell them to the guys collecting them. That’s a flipper. **** him.

I keep books too J! It actually came in handy when tracking down a pair I sold then wanted back. Was able to look it up a year later and see who I sold it to. Now in the forever pile!

Good to know that building a collection this way ain't flippin! :)

I was gonna post a thread about that guy who killed someone over his coin collection!!

Same kind of thing has happened with Chicken Breeders in the UK! Crazy stuff indeed!

Latest Posts

Back