Admin

The Boss
Staff member
Administrator
62
58
They are different and very retro, I was looking at the classic ones from back in the day, but I think the color combos are cool too. I was looking to get a pair of them, then I relaised that most color combos are already sold out...tooo ebayyy loll
 

spydermatt

Oakley Beginner
2
51
I am not a fan, I think that the desire to have a "wayfarer" style glass caused a release of an item that is sub-standard for Oakley. The hooked ear piece, no blending of science and art. The only wow item was the "glow in the dark" other then that most standard release pairs were blah at best. I have seen pictures of artist/limited release pairs that were not Oakley designed but made up by an outside individual and those are cool. It just sucks that it is almost impossible to get a hold of any of them unless you have stupid money.
 

OakleyBoss

Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
2,925
703
USA
spydermatt said:
I am not a fan, I think that the desire to have a "wayfarer" style glass caused a release of an item that is sub-standard for Oakley. The hooked ear piece, no blending of science and art. The only wow item was the "glow in the dark" other then that most standard release pairs were blah at best. I have seen pictures of artist/limited release pairs that were not Oakley designed but made up by an outside individual and those are cool. It just sucks that it is almost impossible to get a hold of any of them unless you have stupid money.
I agree with what you are saying, Oakley is definitely trying to capitalize on the success of the wayfarer's instead of just being themselves. Oakley has never really tried to copy Ray-ban in the past, its usually the other way around. I didn't even see the glow in the dark, which is super cool! Lately I have been checking out alot of the artist/limited release pairs and have been loving them, its like walking around in art. After about an hour of checking out the frog-skins i realized that most are sold out. They come out with these crazy pairs, and then they make is so demand is high and supply is low.
 

doowutchyalike

Oakley Collector
1,238
373
NC
Not excited about the latest, I'm more excited to see the next release of "Acid" colors. Supposedly 5 new colors:
Green, Blue, Pink, Orange and Black. I've already preordered mine, March 1 release date (hopefully)
 

OakleyBoss

Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
2,925
703
USA
doowutchyalike said:
Not excited about the latest, I'm more excited to see the next release of "Acid" colors. Supposedly 5 new colors:
Green, Blue, Pink, Orange and Black. I've already preordered mine, March 1 release date (hopefully)
Very cool, so how did you pre order? Did you call up Oakley, because I have recently noticed that many limited/special editions say to call Oakley to order.
 

SatManR190

Oakley Beginner
72
78
Indonesia
spydermatt said:
I am not a fan, I think that the desire to have a "wayfarer" style glass caused a release of an item that is sub-standard for Oakley. The hooked ear piece, no blending of science and art. The only wow item was the "glow in the dark" other then that most standard release pairs were blah at best. I have seen pictures of artist/limited release pairs that were not Oakley designed but made up by an outside individual and those are cool. It just sucks that it is almost impossible to get a hold of any of them unless you have stupid money.
J.Jannard = Oakley.
Luxottica = RayBan.
Now Luxottica = RayBan + Oakley.
I think the next product of Oakley will look like RayBan style,like Hoolbrook.
 

BAPD77

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
4,179
573
I think its time to stop with all the frogskin stuff and come out with a fresh remake. My god, you can only do the same thing for so long. I think a re-release of the plate, splice, scar or over the top would be awesome.
 

SpliceD

Pronounced, "Spliced"
4,415
673
Los Angeles, CA
BAPD77 said:
I think its time to stop with all the frogskin stuff and come out with a fresh remake. My god, you can only do the same thing for so long. I think a re-release of the plate, splice, scar or over the top would be awesome.
I dunno if re-releases would be good for collectors like us. It somewhat diminishes the rarity and collectibility of certain pieces. Being discontinued is what makes them so sought after. It's nice to know you have pieces that not too many have.

You should know... you have all those artist series editions. What if they kept producing the ones you already have? There goes the "Collectors" premium you already paid for them.
 

BAPD77

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
4,179
573
I mean, I definitely get what you're saying. I love the fact I have several that are rare. I have almost the entire collection of artist series, minus 3. Anyhow, it just seems to me that Oakley has just overdone the Frogskins. First it was just a re-release of some limited frogskins. Now, it's like every quarter they come out with another "limited" Frogskin. I understand there are Froggie collectors and I totaly respect it, but if they're gonna continue with the remakes, why not try something fresh once in a while, ya know?

I guess the last were the smogs, and the Acid Rain are next. To be honest, the Acid Rain editions are my favorite by far. I may actually get one. I just wish they'd do a remake of something else to spice it up a bit. Just my opinion.
 

Latest profile posts

Disko22 wrote on OakleyBoss's profile.
When will I be able to comment to buy sell trade posts?
crazychris777 wrote on THE X-MAN's profile.
do you have XX X-Metal gold 24k Lens? anybody know where i can find some? thank you
Top